Klein '134' DKiG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klein '134' DKiG

I have had this DKiG in my collections for donkeys years. It was my first DKiG.

It has minimal wear and never cleaned.

Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

detail

The tarnish has that speckled effect often seen on untouched RK Oakleaves.

These must have had a high silver content or are they neusilber?
    Decorations of Germany

Comment

with great patina

Comment

Very nice 134 ! Tom

Comment

Very nice 134 (Klein Hanau) DKiG Rich and very similar to mine except for the toned back. Wait for more knowledgeable feedback but from what I understand the back plate on these was made from cupal (thin copper layer on aluminum) not tombac or nickel silver and these are late pieces so I doubt there is true silver plating involved. No relation whatsoever but I have seen a number of luftwaffe cupal summer eagle that have toned that way when the copper (instead of the aluminum) side was exposed so it could be the case here

Best regards

JC
          Last edited by Jean-Claude; 02-09-2014, 04:10 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Great looking DKiG

Andy

Comment

Perfect cross! Awesome patina and condition

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Bolotnikov View Post
                Perfect cross! Awesome patina and condition
                It's really striking isn't it.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. If this is how they are untouched, makes you wonder why so many are completely untarnished!
                  Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                    Very nice 134 (Klein Hanau) DKiG Rich and very similar to mine except for the toned back. Wait for more knowledgeable feedback but from what I understand the back plate on these was made from cupal (thin copper layer on aluminum) not tombac or nickel silver and these are late pieces so I doubt there is true silver plating involved. No relation whatsoever but I have seen a number of luftwaffe cupal summer eagle that have toned that way when the copper (instead of the aluminum) side was exposed so it could be the case here

Best regards

JC
                    Hi JC!

I am not sure what the back plate is made of. If it were cupal it would not be tarnished as aluminum does not tarnish that way so there must be a layer of either silver plating or neusilber there, right? What else could tarnish like that?
                    Rich
                    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Rich, get out the solvent and polish that baby up.
                      Sell it as "never issued, found in the Klesshinder Whord"
                      Some guys here will pay quadruple the $$!!!!

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

love it

Seb
                          The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
                          Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
                          www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rich G View Post
                            Hi JC!

I am not sure what the back plate is made of. If it were cupal it would not be tarnished as aluminum does not tarnish that way so there must be a layer of either silver plating or neusilber there, right? What else could tarnish like that?
                            Rich
                            Hi Rich!

No idea of comparative weights between light & heavy DK and experts can chime in to correct me but from my understanding all "134" and some "20" marked Deutsches Kreuz are considered "light" compared to earlier specimens made of tombac because they use a cupal backplates. IMO the copper side (of cupal) with exposed silver plate would tarnish exactly like yours over time.

I only have 1 DKiG but, based on my (limited) experience with summer uniform eagles where it is often used, cupal is a very thin layer of copper on a thicker base of aluminum for rigidity (and light weight). The copper side usually faces outward to accept a thin silver (or gold) plating that can then be polished on the highlights to give the appearance of richer metals (than aluminum).

Attached is a cupal summer eagle which, for some reason has the copper side on the back. While the silver wash seems to have been completely worn off (or cleaned) on most of the back traces of the original toned finish remain on the wing tips around the hardware where it was less exposed

Regards

JC
                            Attached Files

Comment

@JC - Okay that explains it...there must be a silver plating on the cupal.

@ All - Glad you like it. I've got the tooth paste out now so in a few minutes it's going to be the mintiest (see what I did there?) DKiG on the market.

Rich
                              Decorations of Germany

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X