Worn EK frame, fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worn EK frame, fake?

I got this today and have a few questions, first the frame beading is extremely worn on the front and perfect on the back also the date on the front and back dont seem to match..It,s maker marked 24. Any oppinions?
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

Hard to tell from the pic but this side you can see how worn it is.
      Attached Files

Comment

Its also split at the seams
        Attached Files

Comment

Its a put-together, ribbon loop is also probably off another cross, it has definitely been prized open at one point.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking but why are the dates different (front,back)when its a solid Iron core??

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric K.
              Thats what I was thinking but why are the dates different (front,back)when its a solid Iron core??

Eric
              Are you sure it's a single piece? could be two pieces of sheet metal together, if you can weigh it again another example. I would question the ribbon loop being opened when it should be soldered together.

Comment

Yeah the whole thing is a mess but the price was right thats why I have a house full of stuff I dont collect

Eric

Comment

Its an original 24.
                  The dates shouldnt match front and rear.1939 should be on the front and 1813 on the rear.
                  Yes,this would have a solid core.The paint is typical of a worn example.
                  1813 indicates the institution date of the first iron crosses in Prussia.
                  1939 indicates the reinsitution of the iron cross by hitler in 1939 on the 1st of september.The invasion of Poland.

An open suspension ring isnt common but is seen.

Its the smooth beading and the split frame indicate to me this cross has had a mega hard life but it is original.

regards keifer

Comment

Hi Eric,

It looks like a 24. One thing about these is the finish is a VERY flat black. Also, looking at mine, the swaz is very refined (crisp edges). Looking at yours, it may be possible that someone tried to open it to paint the core. Are those brush strokes I see on the obverse, or is it the photo?

I understood what you meant about the dates. Several EK's have numbers that differ (shape) from front to back. That's another thing about 24's, they have very low dates.

Comment

Now i see what you mean that the dates dont match.

I concur with Jim what he says about date heights.They do tend to be low.

Comment

Eric,

It might be worth a few dollars to take it to a good jeweller. Could have it looking good as new.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X