RK/KC Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK/KC Advice needed

Hello, I know you guys that really know all the fine details may get tired of some of the same questions, so I always try to look thru the old files first before asking any questions.
    However, after having done that in regards to this RK of mine, I still am looking for the correct answer as to ; what is the distinguishing traits of this RK vs an original one...i.e....what are the obvious differences?
    Thanks a lot in advance . Michael
    Attached Files

It seems to be an S&L, but these were made during and after the war. I suspect you'll need to show much better photos, mention any marks, and tell us what the material of the core is.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

RK/KC Advice needed

Originally posted by streptile View Post
      It seems to be an S&L, but these were made during and after the war. I suspect you'll need to show much better photos, mention any marks, and tell us what the material of the core is.
      Hey, OK will do later on today and thanks a lot for your help. Michael

Comment

I would guess that it is a so-called "A" type with either a small or large "800" silver mark, and would in fact be very surprised (and very interested!) if it is not.

Comment

RK/KC Advice needed

Here are some pics that are hopefully better. Yes it is a S&L post war to my knowledge.
          Thanks again for any advice and help. Michael
          Attached Files

Comment

RK/KC Advice needed

it is three piece/non magnetic core. Thanks again for the help. M
            Attached Files

Comment

Has the core been repainted or is it just the photos that make it appear so glossy?

William Kramer
              Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

RK/KC Advice needed

Hey, no it has not been repainted and yes the photos I enhanced a bit trying to get details to come out more clearly. This shot probably reflects the true color best. Thanks, Michael
                Attached Files

Comment

Shows what photos will do. In the first one, the reverse date appears to have the core with "dipping 3" in 1813, not normally seen in a "B".
                  Now you can see the lower edging of all of the numbers.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You might also get some help if you post this in the 57er forum as well. Looks to be a nice example

Comment

RK/KC Advice needed

Thanks Tony. I guess I need to do more research to understand these more. I do not understand how a '57 can have a Swastika. Were these made 'illegally' or something after the war? Thanks

Comment

Early in the piece, once S&L began construction of their awards they made both types with the same frames at the same time. The 57er guys can tell you a lot about how these fit. This is a most desirable cross to own if you want the complete history of S&L RKs.

Comment

Originally posted by napesica View Post
                          Thanks Tony. I guess I need to do more research to understand these more. I do not understand how a '57 can have a Swastika. Were these made 'illegally' or something after the war? Thanks
                          I'm not quite sure I understand your question. In Post #5, before anyone had a chance to look at your new and better photos, you were already saying "Here are some pics that are hopefully better. Yes it is a S&L post war to my knowledge." I assumed from this quote you already thought you knew something about it before you posted.

Yes, at some point after the war S&L made swastika-cored crosses for the souvenir/ veteran/ collector market.

Using your improved photos, this cross has a so-called "B" type frame with certain recognizable features (a "bridge flaw" between the 6 and 9 o'clock arms and a "dent row" on the lower 3 o'clock arm) which, among other things, differentiate it from the so-called "A" frame (the frame used by S&L to make most - not all - crosses for award purposes during the war). The "B" frame was also used during the war.

Based on what is known now, the only thing for sure which can be said about your cross is that it was probably made in 1957 or before, and that statement arises from the fact that there appear to be no raised beading flaws on its "B frame" cross arms, a die defect feature which was noticeably common on early "1957 version" crosses with the oakleaf spray in the center (as opposed to the swastika). The frames on this cross were made before that condition developed.

Comment

I agree, post war made

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                              I agree, post war made
                              No one knows with proveable certainty when this particular cross was made. All that can be said is that the frames were made sometime between 1939 and 1957. Everything else is pure conjecture and opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X