Comment

####
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice but not often seen

Andy

Comment

Very nice and interesting!

Would it be possible to have a close up of the prager burg spange as it does not seem to be the usual type?

Comment

Great board! Do you know the source/date?

Comment

Does anybody here believe that the zinc Knights Crosses of the War Merit Cross were produced on orders of the PKZ with the intend to be awarded before May 1945?

Dietrich
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                Does anybody here believe that the zinc Knights Crosses of the War Merit Cross were produced on orders of the PKZ with the intend to be awarded before May 1945?

Dietrich
                Does anyone know for a FACT that they were not?

In any case, do you seriously think that shop/museum display pieces (which is what, IMO, these were probably intended for), of non-precious metals, were not produced before May 1945?

Comment

OK, Many years ago say about 35 or so, There was a collector in L.A. that had a salesman sample boards only it was suit case size, on this board were some wonderful awards to include two I believe KVKKC w/wo swords, done in base metal. So, I know they were done.
                  Regards,
                  Ed. Anderson,Jr.
                  The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Comment

With S&L (and some other companies as well) you never know.

Maybe they are pre-45, maybe they were made as "souvenirs" for the allied soldiers....

Hard to say after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                      Does anyone know for a FACT that they were not?

In any case, do you seriously think that shop/museum display pieces (which is what, IMO, these were probably intended for), of non-precious metals, were not produced before May 1945?
                      Of course I don't know whether they were made before May 1945 or not. That is why I wrote "believe" and not "know". IMO they are not, but I don't know that and if they will be offered as "museum pieces" or "display pieces" there is nothing substantial I could offer as a counter argument - other than the looks.

OK, Many years ago say about 35 or so, There was a collector in L.A. that had a salesman sample boards only it was suit case size, on this board were some wonderful awards to include two I believe KVKKC w/wo swords, done in base metal. So, I know they were done.
                      I don't think that anybody can dispute the fact that they were done. The question is, als always with S&L, when. 35 years ago is "only" 1979 ....

But I will not argue anymore, this is all in the realm of believe.

Dietrich
                      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

I have no issue with these being end of war production which is one of the reasons I purchased them. The shop display theory may have some merit to it- Helmut Weitze once referred to these pieces as 'shop guardians' to me.

Dietrich- when first made these would have looked to all intents and purposes exactly like the silver crosses so would have been very attractive and only close examination would have revealed them to be base metal as zinc holds the strike so well. Hence the reason most German awards were produced in zinc, it follows logically to me that if they made the kvk1 in zinc then why not the RK as 2nd purchase or display pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post

But I will not argue anymore, this is all in the realm of believe.

Dietrich
                          The "realm of believe" is very often the very real experience generated from dealing directly, and repeatedly, with U.S. (and British, etc.) vets, an experience many, unfortunately, do not have, and not one to be casually, lightly, and sometimes derogatorily, cast aside.

Comment

I remember seen a similar board on sale on a online auction not too long ago....

Comment

The "realm of believe" is very often the very real experience generated from dealing directly, and repeatedly, with U.S. (and British, etc.) vets,.....
                              Sure!
                              And very often "the very real experience" goes the other way. Which makes clear that there is really not a "rule" of when to believe or when not, unfortunately. This might be the fault of certain individuals who have used the term "veteran acquired" very loose, to say the least. But that does not mean that sourcing from veterans has no value, far from it (I would like to mention the current Klessheim article ...), but IMO it just takes a little more than just to say "from a US or British vet."
                              But again, if it is believed that they are pre-May 1945 so be it. They have, however, nothing directly to do with the official pieces, neither with those found in Klessheim bei US-veterans (!!) nor with the actual awarded pieces.

Dietrich

PS: I am correct in my assumption that they are not stamped "4"? Ar any of the other pieces stamped? "L/16" or "4"?
                              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X