More S&L RK die flaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More S&L RK die flaws

I was examining my S&L RK and saw a die flaw in an area where they have not been consistent. There are NO die flaws on this cross on the 3 0clock or nine 0clock arms, but I noted this on the side of the cross at the junction of the 9 oclock and 12 oclock arms, going up the 12 oclock arm. This is also seen on the reverse. Anyone else seen this on their S&Ls? Should I now consider this to be a "die flaw" cross, despite the beading clean in the other ususal suspect areas? Thanks
    Attached Files

another
    Attached Files

Comment

here is an extension of some of the flaw extending along the side of the 9 0clock arm. SOrry- not the best of detail. I tell you, these damn S&Ls are the most irritating pieces!
      Attached Files

Comment

Just to be clear, this is the area. Pretty cool with the edit bit- I just found out how to do that!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tom hansen; 10-31-2004, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Tom,

This 'flaw' is also evident on my 3 S&Ls, a 935-only marked cross - flawless but with 'blip', a 'zincer' unmarked-frames flawless but with 'blip', and an iron-cored unmarked frame flawed in the usual manner. All the permutations and combinations!

Comment

Tom,

Mine has the flaws in that location as well. I never noticed them before and it sounds like you haven't either, which should serve to illustrate how minor the flaws really are when viewed with the naked eye instead of under magnification.

As far as I'm concerned you're in good company,as I've never questioned the originality of my S&L RK.

This should be interesting....
            Skip

Comment

Mine show it!
              Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Tom,
                Do us a favour and post a close-up pic of the 9 O'clock beading, lower end of arm, to compare it with this pic.
                Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Damn- I wish I was better at photos. I have a good camera and all the lenses, but cannot get the detailed close-ups!
                  Attached Files

Comment

another- I just noticed the "bowing" effect from the perimeter to the center. I guess I am an idiot, as I had never looked closely at this view.
                    Attached Files

Comment

All this is interesting. I was cataloging all the flaws on the juncker RKs and thought there must be SOME good flaws on the S&L that define them as well. What I saw was this and another, but I can't get a decent shot of it. This flaw, as well as the other, are much more pronounced on the S&L than juncker. Perhaps the dies were just crap on the S&L to begin with and the progression of flaws occurred with this maker, as opposed to others, as they already had micro cracks in their dies to begin with.

THE SAME TYPE OF FLAW IS PRESENT ON THE 12 OCLOCK ARM ON THE OTHER SIDE! There are a few other smaller ones as well, but these are the two biggies. It makes looking for flaws on the RK KVK like shooting fish in a barrel!
                      Last edited by tom hansen; 10-31-2004, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for the pic!. Just to highlight another feature of these S&L frames, counting from right to left on the view you have just shown, beading grooves #7 and #13 should be shorter than the rest, ie not reaching down fully to the frame rim. These anomalies, like the beading 'flaw' you have highlighted on this thread, should be considered features as opposed to flaws, provided the appear on All S&L crosses and, judging by the replies, this would appear to be the case. Strictly speaking, should the term flaw should be reserved for anomolies that appear on some S&L crosses but not others, and features to describe anomolies that appear on all? What do you think?

Comment

Just to make sure I got the correct arm- here is 9 oclock as viewed from the FRONT with the side view of the beading. I see those little gaps you are talking about, but I do not see them well on this cross.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes Tom, that is the view I was looking for. I can see it on your picture - grooves #7 and #13 (counting from R to L) are deffinitely shorter - standard feature of S&L frame in my view. It seems we have progressed from macro decription (weight,dimensions etc) to micro description of our crosses. It would be usefull to have a complete 'catalogue' of descriptive features, with accepted variations. for each known maker. Some may say this would provide the fakers with a usefull tool, but in my view, while the may get 1 or 2 bits 'right', it would be impossible for them to re-produce all features accurately.

Comment

It's there very consistent both sides.

Look at the junction of the 6 to 9 o'clock corners. I have an interesting junction that goes across both connections both sides.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X