Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sedlatzek Knights cross

Hello fellow collectors,

one of my early christmas presents is this knights cross. I had already contact with Dietrich (thank you very much again!) who also confirmed this cross should be a Sedlatzek cross.
    I also wanted to show it here.

BR, Michael
    Attached Files

So this is one of the reasons you're selling so many things. Very nice. I know nothing of this maker, what is the story behind these crosses?

Comment

Nice looking cross ! One of the *grey zone* makers of the Knights Cross, but neverless a very good looking medal

Comment

Originally posted by Tony T-S View Post
        So this is one of the reasons you're selling so many things. Very nice. I know nothing of this maker, what is the story behind these crosses?
        Very smart cross but me too,I have not even heard of this maker! One of your presents What else will be under the tree! Do tell

All the best,

Ross

Comment

These things are very odd...I'm still not convinced that they are pre-45 ? Tom

Comment

What is the current selling / buying value of these crosses ? I have always had a intrest in these since they have been brought to light in the collecting community.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              I'm still not convinced that they are pre-45 ? Tom
              Nobody I know is saying that this type is proven to be manufactured before May 1945. There is, however, a lot of circumstantial evidence that it was the case. None have been awarded as we know and under that aspect this is not an officia Knights Cross of the Third Reich.
              I told Michael that the only thing we know for sure is that they were available very shortly after the war. The history of the Sedlatzek Knights Cross is for sure better documented (if one can call it that) then the multiple L/12 or L 12 variations of Oakleavers and Swords which were offered and sold by Mr. Niemann.
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                The history of the Sedlatzek Knights Cross is for sure better documented (if one can call it that) then the multiple L/12 or L 12 variations of Oakleavers and Swords which were offered and sold by Mr. Niemann.
                Just curious Dietrich, did you ever talk to him about all these variations and where he got them and if there was any provenance to them? Were any of them vet acquired? I need to go back and read your article about them, but I am at work and it was just a question off the top of my head.

Thanks
                If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Great thread! I would also like to know their rough market value.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                    Just curious Dietrich, did you ever talk to him about all these variations and where he got them and if there was any provenance to them? Were any of them vet acquired? I need to go back and read your article about them, but I am at work and it was just a question off the top of my head.
                    Thanks
                    No, I never talked to him. At any rate, he would not talk to me anyway since it was below him to justify anything. After my Knights Cross book came out I was banned from the site and he started to bad mouth me all over the place. Most likely because he had to take back a lot of things ... the curse of the life time warranty.

It does not take a lot thinking to come to the conclusion that something is fishy if there are several die versions and several stamping variations of the Juncker-made" Oakleaves and Oakleaves with Swords. (800, L/12, L 12) and none of them (not one!) is of the same style as the one I think pre-May 1945 and which are marked "900" and "L/12".

And what do you think he would have answered to a question of the sources? Of course they were directly from a veteran! What else could he have said?

Dietrich
                    Attached Files
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Thanks Dietrich.

The reason I ask is because we are having a similar discussion in the LW forum about the hollow-back Pilot Badges:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=710119

Tom
                      If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                      [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                      Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Interesting!

I would never use Niemann's catalog or anything else from him as a definitive proof of something. He sold for sure a ton of very good material, but he also sold whatever he could sell. Attached a Rounder expertise from him before it was proven that the Rounder was a fake of the late 60s. I don't think he knew, just an example that in general it needs more proof than just the word of any dealer.

Dietrich
                        Attached Files
                        B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

There are other crosses that I would believe are wartime, but we simply have no real evidence. That is why the quest continues.

Bob Hritz
                          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Here is another Sedlazek Rk for comparison. This one even features Souval's rare first version of OLS with diamonds. The question remains on exactly how early these pieces are ...

Last edited by Alex W.; 12-19-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

OLS...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X