DKiS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKiS

Here is light DKiS that I found a few days ago, it has all the right Zimmermann's "signs", only the maker mark has a missing 'tale' on 2, I found one that looks like that here post 33,

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=153501&page=3

....so was the maker mark stamp was damaged at some point?

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I've seen many different "20" on DK and on EK1. I don't think it's because of the punch being worn but rather the way and/or the angle it strikes in pin.

But that's just my opinion.

BTW.. A very nice and original DKiS.

Regards,
          AB.
          In memory of my Uncle,
          Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
          2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
          Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

Great look to that one, Alik.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Beautiful piece Alikn!

Comment

That's a stunner. Just a bad strike on the stamp I think.

Comment

A real beauty ! Tom

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys!

Originally posted by andrewb View Post
                    I've seen many different "20" on DK and on EK1. I don't think it's because of the punch being worn but rather the way and/or the angle it strikes in pin.

At first I thought that too, but after I looked at it under a microscope I noticed that the break of the 'tail' is kind of sharp - from very deep to nothing, not gradually from deeper to shallow - like it would be if the stamp was tilted a little, also "0" is stamped at the same angle and nothing is missing.
                    Looks like part of the 'tail' was not there when it was stamped. Here is a couple more closeups.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Alikn,

A plausible theory indeed but after having a long look at your very good close up I'm still sticking to my idea even more so. Here is my reason.

The top half of the "20" looks to be deeper than the bottom. There is also a dent just above the "2". To me that indicates that the punch hit the pin "top heavy" so to speak and therefore the tail did not strike the pin.

The other possibility is that the pin is not entirely flat and so the tail of the "2" missed out.

Or maybe it's none of the above. I have two Zimmerman DKs and both MMs are different. What is for sure is that you have a very nice DKiS which are much rarer than it's gold brother and for that you should happy with.

Regards,
                      AB.
                      In memory of my Uncle,
                      Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
                      2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
                      Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

What could have happen, and what I think might be a plausible explanation was that, the punch Tool was dropped, and broke a part of the "2".

/Flemming

PS Nice DKiS indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flemming View Post
                          What could have happen, and what I think might be a plausible explanation was that, the punch Tool was dropped, and broke a part of the "2".

/Flemming

PS Nice DKiS indeed.
                          That is a possibility, in my opinion even if the stamp was set at the engle tale of 2 would leave a light impression and wouldn't break from deep to nothing at all, bottom part of zero left very noticeable impression at the same engle.
                          The dent Andrew you are referring to above the 20, in my opinion looks more like the end of the tale from "2" - worker set the punch a bit higher at first applying some pressure to it, then he noticed that moved it down and punched.
                          And don't get me wrong, I am very happy with it, I just want to share my observations .....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X