Engraved Iron Cross First Class by K&Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engraved Iron Cross First Class by K&Q

Hi Guys - Although a month and a half late, I present to you one of my two MAX Show pick-ups. This is a nice, unmarked, vaulted Klein & Quenzer EK1. What's very special about is the engraving on the back to a soldier (probably a officer) named Karl Heinz Gröpper. It is dated September 13, 1942 and was awarded in relation to a place called Bili Bor. I have tried to figure out the significance of the location but to no avail. It was thinking it was related to Partisan fighting in a town in the Bor region of Serbia. However, it doesn't appear any specific engagements took place in that area around this time based on a query I posted on the AHF. Another poster did state that it could be in reference to the town of Biely Bor in Belarus. If so, it would also likely be related to Partisans (similar to my hunch about Serbia) as Army Group Center was engaged far to the east at this time. Either way, I'm not sure I will ever find out the truth, however, the idea of an EK1 for fighting Partisans is certainly plausible (I have an award document group for fighting Partisans in the Balkans that includes a number of awards including the EK1 as well as the Anti-Partisan Badge).

The cross did not come with the case shown, but it fits well and will sit in it from here on in. I encourage any comments or possible ideas as to the significance of the location listed on the reverse. The pics are the best I could come up with - I find it so difficult to capture engravings on EKs with a camera.

B
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

unfortunately I am not able to help you about the place, just I would like to comment the gravur that it 's really very very nice for me.
      Last edited by fabri-online; 11-25-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Engraved ek1's are a minefield but this one looks very good!
        For me original wartime engraved iron cross.
        Hope you can find some more info...

Comment

This is one of the very few I've seen that I think is good ! Tom

Comment

This cross looks good and I also Think that the engraving looks promissing

Andy

Comment

The engraving really has the look of the period so hopefully it's from the period. Lovely cross.

Comment

I agree, engraved EK1s can be a minefield, especially 1939 EKs. I feel very good about this one though. The engraving looks hand done, the patina is consistent and the obscure location supports it being original.

Thanks for the positive comments. I have a number of engraved 1914 EK1s, but this is my first 1939 example. I hope to add more over time.

Comment

I think that "Bili Bor" is either Croatia or Serbia. Jim

Comment

Great looking EK! Serbia........

Best

Comment

Love it
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by CMSgt View Post
                        I think that "Bili Bor" is either Croatia or Serbia. Jim
                        Yes, the Bor reference is related to Serbia. However, there is no evidence (that I'm aware of) that 704. Infanterie-Division (the unit that was deployed in the area at the time) was involved in any specific actions on September 13, 1942. It's certainly possible that something could have taken place in the days or weeks before the date of the award (which is reasonable given the delays between the actions and the award dates of EKs) but time will tell on that.

I agree that the award is more likely related to Serbia than Belarus.

Comment

I agree that it looks very very nice and indeed, who would fake an engraving with Bili-Bor? Sounds pretty like a cartoon character (no offense intended ), So this is one cross I would also gladly add to my collection.

Need some good research here!

Best regards,
                          Michel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X