EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening the mystery box: Rettenmaier, maker of the EK II clasp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, forgot that the one Spange is only a drawing.
    So 2 Spange from 2 different dies, but they share the same design as the drawing from the P&L catalogue.

This is the best I can explain what I am thinking.

/Flemming

Comment

That's the identical problem we always have with combat awards. Altough the design matches closely to a drawing it's very hard to attach it to a certain maker. If a badge is really unique with unique features, it has a higher possibility, especially when there are other connecting points towards a maker identification. In this case the spange in the catalog "looks" the same, but can't be narrowed down to this spange imo.

Here's a close up of the datebar. Looking forwards to your response Streptile
      Attached Files
      Kind regards,
      Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

The two date bars.

/Flemming
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tinmantis View Post
          amazing discovery!
          thanks so much for sharing all this

almost identical to what we call the classic floch fake!
          I gotta sit back and assimilate!
          regards
          jon
          Jon I remember one of many posts on these, a few years ago when we speculated that they could turn out to be good, one day.... LOL
          Personally, I never cared for this ugly design, and I still don't, but it's nice to see that they may be the real deal. I wonder how many have gone in the garbage ?

Thanks for posting this interesting info.

Comment

Originally posted by kriztof View Post
            I wonder how many have gone in the garbage ?
            This one Did.
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=671809

Comment

Thanks Giel. I will get some scans up asap.

Let me also clarify something since I've gotten a few emails about this. I have NOT said this 21 marked SP2 is authentic. In fact above I said I can't say it's authentic.

I am saying, and this is 100% clear to me, that the design did exist in during the period, and that the drawing in the P&L catalogue is very obviously a drawing of this Spange:

Take a look at the odd things that only a tracing of a photo of this exact piece could possibly render. The irregular shapes of the inside feathers (red and blue below), the weirdly shaped segmented claws, the feather count and position.

There's no question that the P&L drawing is a drawing of this Spange design. Can we at least all agree on that?
              Attached Files
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                There's no question that the P&L drawing is a drawing of this Spange design. Can we at least all agree on that?
                No doubt in my mind at all!

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING
                Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

agreed
                  I'd say the drawing is 100% from a photo of an existing piece
                  also
                  I still think we got to remember a ton of these are post war, there's so many with random stamps and quality. It's going to be a difficult task to work out what's what
                  regards
                  jon

Comment

Got this a number of years ago along with a small group of original awards. Always though it was bad (marked raised 'L/4' ), but always wondered why someone would go to the trouble of reproducing a rather well made piece but mark it with an obviously bad makers/distributors hallmark?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                      No doubt in my mind at all!
                      Originally posted by tinmantis View Post
                      agreed 'd say the drawing is 100% from a photo of an existing piece
                      Thank you for weighing in, guys.

Jon's correct that the difficulty now is going to be separating the wheat from the chaff, as we say here: the good stuff from the postwar fakes.

I would say anything marked L/4 is out of the question as original.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Sort of interesting how summarily this find was dismissed seven months ago:

EK 2 Wiederholungsspange L/59 LDO Etui

I guess the lesson is: presentation matters!
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

I guess the lesson is: presentation matters!
                          Ha, Indeed Trevor!

Tom
                          If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                          [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                          Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

I would say anything marked L/4 is out of the question as original.
                            Sorry Streptile, just to clarify, do you mean that L/4 is absolutely original or absolutely not original? I say that because on first reading I took this to mean that it was out of the question original, but I think you may have meant the opposite. Just so that we're all very clear and all that.

I can see a lot of collectors racing off to their junk boxes around about now. Fantastic stuff.

Comment

LDO numbers started at L/10 so anything marked L/4 is without question a fake.
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Got it. Many thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X