Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting up with EKs - again!

Hello all,

I have been interested in collecting militaria for over 30 years and a long time ago did start a collection of 3rd Reich era decorations. However I was stung with a couple of fake (I believe, I'll start their own threads for confirmation) badges and gave it up as being too much of a minefield.

Recently however with the advent of sites like yours where so much good information is available I thought it might be worth dipping my toe in the water again.

However on having a look on the web out of 50 or 60 EKs and badges I've looked at I'd only want to take a chance on one and that went for beyond my price range!

Is the ratio of fakes really that bad or am I being too cautious having been bitten before?

I attach a some photos below of a couple of EK 1s I've seen for sale and would welcome your opinions. I'm not that happy with either!

1st one front and back doesn't look good to me, sorry haven't got better pictures:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smle; 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM.

Here is the clam back from the last EK:
    Attached Files

Comment

The next one, I am more happy with the front but the back doesn't look right, shouldn't there be a pin to stop it swivelling?

Thanks for all your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

And the screw back removed from the second one.

Thanks again.
        Attached Files

Comment

My Advice is to stick to this Forum mate, The 25USD You spend for membership is the best 25 you will ever spend BELIEVE ME.

There are no "Experts" but the lads here are as close as you will find.

Look at the Estand whenever you feel the urge

AND Enjoy the hobby

Kind Regards

Ross

Comment

IMO, first one looks good ... second one is ( IMO ) a one-piece fake ( probably marked 51 )

Comment

Originally posted by Matthieu View Post
              IMO, first one looks good ... second one is ( IMO ) a one-piece fake ( probably marked 51 )
              Thanks for the reply.

It does look at is the second one is marked 51. How did you know it was one piece? Have you just seen one before?

I did ask about construction as the listing said "solid" so I asked is it the normal 3 piece or one and they came back and said 3 piece!

So the first one, which I thought less likely looks good! The swastika and numbering both look thinner than is normal to me, is this a recognised variant?

Hopefully I'll learn something along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Volksgrenadier 44 View Post
                My Advice is to stick to this Forum mate, The 25USD You spend for membership is the best 25 you will ever spend BELIEVE ME.

There are no "Experts" but the lads here are as close as you will find.

Look at the Estand whenever you feel the urge

AND Enjoy the hobby

Kind Regards

Ross
                Thanks, already spent the 25 dollars, it's a fraction of what my first attempt at collecting cost me all those years ago in fakes!

I'll post the IAB and Flak badge that I think aren't right in the relevant forums shortly. They are probably antiques in their own right now though, I bought them over 20 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthieu View Post
                  I agree.
                  Nice Deumer Schinkel and a '51" fake (one-piece most likely....

Comment

It really looks like a 1 piece to me. Estand is a good place to buy EKs as you can direct people to the item for sale so that they can give it the once over.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X