Alert-Latest fake from Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert-Latest fake from Germany

Here is the latest fake Oakleaves with Swords to hit the market. In fairness I should say that the guy who is selling these is selling them as fakes.
    They are very nicely die struck in solid silver, the edge silhouette nicely cut away, no excess "flashing". Double sided swords. Nice matt silver frosting. Nice thin section just like the real ones. Nice stippling to the field of the leaves

Fortunately the die characteristics do not match either Juncker. Meybauer or Godet exactly as to the shape of the leafs etc, but its pretty close.
    An ideal space filler in fact, but its only a matter of time before some are aged up and passed off as real.

The reflection from the light in the scanner makes these look a lot more "glittery" than they really are. "In the flesh" they look real nice.

latest fake Oakleaves with Swords to hit the market

Hello Gordon,

Thanks to share this information with us, it could be very helpfull on such expensive award.

Best regards,

Philippe

Comment

If he's selling them as fakes why does he go to the trouble of stamping them with L/12? I never understood why these guys do this; it only promotes their being sold as genuine by the unscrupulous.
      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I think that in many cases the fakers actually do us a favor by adding maker marks. Then by comparing with a known original from that maker it becomes clear the bad one is a fake. If they were left unmarked they'd be much more dangerous.
        There are many examples of fakes which had they been left unmarked, would have been virtually impossible to detect. The infamous Frank & Reif U-Boat badges were exact copies ofthe Schwerin type, the spurious name is what gives them away (they also used the F&BL mark on them).

So whilst I agree that often by marking up good quality fakes with apparently correct markings (this goes for various ink stamps and maker marks in tunics and headgear etc as well) those who make "legitimate" fakes for the re-enactment market may be seen to be going that one step too far towards making them into something to be used to deceive, these marking in themselves often become the main clues in detecting the fakes.

Gordon

Comment

latest fake...

Hi Gordon,

How much does he sell these for?? May be interested in a set, as I'll never have the real deal!!! :-(

Comment

There are many examples of fakes which had they been left unmarked, would have been virtually impossible to detect.
            Gordon,

It makes one think. Perhaps sometimes two sets are made, the ones collectors detect and the unmarked ones that slip by !

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X