Much ado about nothing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much ado about nothing...

Here's the story (It has a great beginning!)...

Everyone at my office know that I collect this 'stuff', and I am constantly asking folks if they know anyone who has any helmets, Lugers, daggers, etc. Well, a few day ago I sarcastically asked one of the guys that works with me, "When are you going to find me some of that German WWII stuff?"

He responded, "Well, a friend of mine has one of those crosses that the Nazis used to wear around their necks, and he is getting ready to auction it on eBay."

I responded, "What!? Who is your friend, where did he get it, does it look like THIS?" I had a reference book handy showing a Knight's cross winner wearing his RK.

My friend responded, "Yeah, that's what he's got. Are your interested?" My cool response, "Yeah, I might be interested."

Well, I arranged to meet with the guy this evening to finally have an opportunity to purchase a Knights Cross!

This is a critical point in my story. If the reader would like to assume that I met the guy and bought a genuine RK, then they should read no further.

However, if you want the truth, read on.

Well, I did in fact meet with the seller. He did in fact offer a genuine iron cross. And, yes, I learned that the cross had in fact been worn around the neck.

Here is a photo of the very cross that I was offered. Note the chain.

I turns out the this very cross had in fact been worn around the seller's neck for the last 30 years. The seller bought the cross when he was in 4th grade for the price of $1.

Now, this cross is mine. For those that are still reading, the ring is marked 'KO.'

Oh, well.

Calvin

P.S. One more thing...I did buy a nice M42 SD Heer helmet from the seller. I'll post photos of that helm in the helmet forum in a few days.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Calvin Hall; 07-30-2002, 09:43 PM.
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Envious

Calvin, What a find. Don't stop now, you're on a roll. The museums will beating down your door when they discover this. SS

Comment

Did you find yourself getting all worked up? My sister called the other day to tell me one of her friends Aunts had died and while cleaning out the house they found some German patches. She wanted to know if I wanted the stuff and of course I did. I got all worked up fot a pair of cufflinks and stickpin. They all have a swaz on them and the lady was German but I have no idea if they are period items or just Indian junk.
      David Tiffin
      "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X