Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 Markings

A question from a new collector.

Some time ago I purchased an 1939 EK1 (flat, pin back, 3 piece construction) via the net from a reputable dealer. It was advertised as unmarked. On receipt it turned out it was marked L15 (Otto Schickle, Pforzheim) in the center of the pin exterior.

Several days ago a marking was noticed on the inside of the pin. After purchasing a magnifying glass I found an H stamped in the center of the inside of the pin (you can hardly tell it is there). The job is professional and not a jewler's engraving.

Can anyone clarify this marking for me? Mabey it is an artisan's mark? Or mabey I got a fake?

Sorry, I can not post a picture.

Thank you
    Tim

Hi Tim,

perform a search in this forum and in the archives with keyword L15. We discussed these a lot in the past with a lot of pictures. Unfortunately all of them (with the exception of 1 piece that at least looked different from the otheres) turned out as fakes produced by a man named Floch in Vienna. There are serious doubts that EK1s with the mark L15 ever existed pre 1945.

Cheers, Frank H.
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

EK1 Markings

Munich,

Thanks for the info. I checked out the thread you suggested. There doesn't appear to be any consensus. L15 is listed as a manufacturer in every reference I can find. There certainly are fakes using the L15 marking. But are all L15s fakes? We'll have to wait and see.

Right now I'm more curious about the H marking. Do you have any leads?

Tim

Comment

L15

Tim,

Does your "L15" (no "/") look like this one? (It's B-A-D.)

(I don't know if it has an "H" on the inside of the pin. I don't have access to it right now. I'll check in a few days.)

George
        George

Comment

Dear Tim,

When I said all L15s are fakes so far, I meant L15 (without the "/") and NOT L/15 (with the "/"). The thread you found is about L15s, not L/15s.

Cheers, Frank
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

EK1 Markings

George & Munich

Thanks for the pictures. Yep, mine looks a lot like it and is marked without the / in L15. It's hard to tell from your picture but is there more than one indentation on pin?

Please bear with me hear since I'm new at this. What makes this a fake? Is it just the absence of the / in L15? "The Iron Time" says this wasn't uncommon.

Your help in my education is truly appreciated.
            Tim

Comment

Tim,

I'll post a clearer picture of the pin when I get back to my other computer.
              As for the "/", it may be true that the lack of one on EKs overall is not uncommon, but on Otto Schickels ("L/15") I believe it's impossible. They just didn't mark their crosses without the "/".
              (The cross I pictured is a classic fake.)

George
              George

Comment

Dear Tim,

Here is why I know oh so well about these, I have one too! It is a classic fake as George says. I know it is hard to believe because some of those look very believable.

Cheers, Frank H.
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

back
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

EK1 Markings

Munich, & George

Well, I guess I get the sucker of the month award. 8vo

Decorum prevents me from fully expresing myself about this EK.

It is disturbing that I got this from a widely recommended dealer. It makes me wonder about the other items I've purchased. Looks like even the best get fooled once in a while.

Thanks you both for the pictures and all the help
                    Tim

Comment

"After purchasing a magnifying glass I found an H stamped in the center of the inside of the pin (you can hardly tell it is there). The job is professional and not a jewler's engraving."

Tim, I have this feature on the inside of my pin as well. I think it's just a mark made by the maker's mark being stamped on the outside, and pressing through to the inside. It does look like an "H" though.
                      (It's still a bad cross. )

George
                      George

Comment

WAY OFF TOPIC BUT....

WOW...I can't believe the way this IC 1st. is SO like the ROUND cornered Knight's Cross!!! Look at the design of the inner corners and then the outer points! Same artist?
                        Now, when did these hit the market and has anyone ever found this type offered in an original case?
                        John
                        Regards,
                        Dave

Comment

John,
                          The inside corner detail to the beading is definately not the same as the KC which I have in my collection. I have e-mailed the pics of my cross to Gordon a while back during the previous thread on these KCs. Maybe he can post the pictures in color this time.
                          Best regards,
                          Tiger 1
                          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X