Bruno Rzonca - Bismarck Survivor - EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruno Rzonca - Bismarck Survivor - EK2

Hi Forum, When the Bismarck Battleship was sunk only 115 men survived. Bruno Rzonca was one of the few luck ones. Many of us have seen him at shows and unfortunately he passed away a couple years ago. He was a nice guy and seemed proud to have been on the greatest battleship of all time. I was fortunate enough to have known him and fortunate enough to have been given a few of his personal items including his Iron Cross 2nd class and 2 of his cap tallies. Bruno was on the Kreuzer Karlsruhe and that was torpedoed as well! The other tally is from his training group. Brunos mother had these items in Germany when the ship went down. He also gave me a Bismarck post card that was signed by Karl Doenitz. Someone used white out to cover the personal note written by Doenitz. If anyone else has any Bismarck items, lets post them!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by D Funk; 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Very, Very Nice group !

Very nice grouping ! Did he have any idea of what became of his EK2 document ? However...Thank God for Mother's...saving what she did was so fortunate !! Tom

Comment

Nice grouping Where was he positioned on the Bismark?

Cheers Brad

Comment

Neat. Know the EK2 award date?
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Duane,

I have an extra of his signed framed Bismark prints. I am sure you have one, but if not, let me know.

He was truly a very nice man.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I believe he was awarded the EK2 in 1941 but will have to check my book. He was on the Karlsruhe at the time. He was a Machinist in the engine room and a new officer came on board. The Officer came in one day and looked around and noticed that some of the guages and settings were not at the "Textbook" settings. He asked Bruno why they were not set correctly and Bruno responded that the ship was a machine and there was some degree of variance. Some settings may be a bit strong to compensate for wear and tear, while others may be backed off a bit depending on the circumstances. The officer said "Change those settings to where they are supposed to be". Bruno again mentioned that not everything always goes by the book and the Officer ordered him to make the changes. Bruno changed the settings and the ship started billowing smoke. The Captain called down to the engine room and Bruno answered. The captain asked what the hell was going on so Bruno told him that he was ordered to make the changes even after he tried to inform the new officer. The captain told bruno to put the settings back how they were so the enemy would not spot them due to the smoke. The captain told Bruno to send the new officer up to see him. Bruno was given the Iron Cross for maintaining the safety of the Karlsruhe. I believe he had a similar position on the Bismarck. He was a nice guy.

Comment

What happened to his EK2 Document ?? Tom

Comment

Had this card for many years....interestingly my Grandfather was on the Battleship HMS Prince of Wales
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice grouping, and a nice story.

/Flemming

Comment

One more try....

What happened to his EK2 Document ? Tom

Comment

Wow cool stuff . I was lucky I got to meet him when I was 13 at a gun show

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X