Meybauer EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meybauer EK2

It's only Thursday here at the West Coast Historical Militaria Collector's Show in Pomona, CA (Thursday was dealer's set-up day), and I've already found a nice cross!

I have what appears to be an EK2 1914, made by Meybauer in 1939 or after, and marked "7" on the suspension ring. It is also mounted to the ribbon in an interesting way (see single photo in the next post).

What do you guys think? I'm asking because the maker's mark isn't crystal clear, but it looks like it a "7". The cross is definitely the same size and shape as a standard (non-Schinkel) EK2 1939.

(I'm sorry about the photo quality - I only have an iPhone camera, and haven't yet downloaded a good-quality photo program for my new MacBook Pro. I was unable to get a clear shot of the maker's mark). I used iPhoto to do some rudimentary editing).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jt327gir; 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM.

Meybauer EK2

Ribbon mount (flat, sewn to the suspension ring).....
    Attached Files

Comment

This looks like a nice early WW1 vintage cast iron cored example so if it's marked 7 I don't think it has anything to do with Meybauer (or a WW2 Schinkel).

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
        This looks like a nice early WW1 vintage cast iron cored example so if it's marked 7 I don't think it has anything to do with Meybauer (or a WW2 Schinkel).

Regards
        Mike
        Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. What made me think this was a WWII-era cross is the fact that its dimensions are the same as a standard 1939 cross. I was unaware they made crosses that size in WWI.

If it's not a Meybauer, what WWI maker does the mark "7" refer to?

Comment

Mike,

I'm also going to post this in the Imperial forum. It's not that I don't believe your analysis (I do), but this cross intrigues me, due to its having WWII-era dimensions and a possible "7" mm (I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for having forgotten to bring my 30x magnifier ).

I can see now that the core does indeed appear to be a WWI-era casting.

I would ask that you not move this post to the Imperial forum, as I would like to post the findings of the Imperial experts in this thread.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi John,

Iron Crosses of both classes were made in so-called "LDO dimensions" of approximately 44mm all the way back to the 19th C. So size is no predictor of period.

I would agree that this cross is a WWI-era example. Can you show the mark?
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
              Hi John,

Iron Crosses of both classes were made in so-called "LDO dimensions" of approximately 44mm all the way back to the 19th C. So size is no predictor of period.

I would agree that this cross is a WWI-era example. Can you show the mark?
              This makes perfect sense to me.

As requested, here is a photo of the maker's mark.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X