Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 for review

Hello,

I would like more knowledgeable colleagues to give me opinion about this EK1.
    Thanks in advance

Andjelo
    Croatia

It looks like a Souval, what does the engraving on the reverse say?

Nick

Comment

Forgot to mention it's a brass core cross (non-magnetic).

About the engraving, it says like this:

Engraving looks OK to me, and what I like is the fact that it's not one of those "everyday-seen" dates like commisioning or sinking dates. I am still investigating about this date, but I really like this cross. Here comes few better photos...

Comment

It might be that the date represent the one on which it was awarded to the crewmember. On that date U-47 attacked Poruguese ship, but after being convinced it's neutral they let it sail away.

The dark patina on the reverse looks great, all over the badge, and it's not possible to wipe/clean it from the badge.

Comment

Personally, I do not like the engraving, It looks like it was done with a modern engraving machine, it is not hand engraved - that is certain. You can see the marks between the letters where each template joins.

Regards - Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Danny70 View Post
            Personally, I do not like the engraving, It looks like it was done with a modern engraving machine, it is not hand engraved - that is certain. You can see the marks between the letters where each template joins.

Regards - Danny
            Hm, the marks, in fact, are not between the letters, but placed on various places. The engraving is somewhat clumsy. Will post macros, to have a better look. It's certainly not modern-work. I am not leaning towards the originality, but we should not forget that not every member of the armed forces could afford premium workmanship in engraving etc. I have Rudolf Singule (WWI U-boat commander) EK1 engraved in much nicer letters, filigranic work indeed. But in those times those "ordinary" guys did not have enough funds to pay for everything they would like to have, for sure.

Comment

Some discussion was here, also, without conclusion:
              http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/1939-e...real-210041-2/

Comment

The engraving looks like made by Dreamel with spherical tip. Not hand made for sure.

When ?? I don't know but not during WWII.

Thats are my 2 cents.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X