EKII mm98 - Rudolf Souval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII mm98 - Rudolf Souval

I'm really enjoying collecting the Iron Cross class 2s. As I think I have mentioned before at first they all looked the same but I'm really getting into doing the research into each new one I get and spotting the little characteristics of each maker.
    Here is my new Iron Cross class 2 - it's a marked 98 Rudolf Souval which has a number of clues which make this maker easier to spot.

These first few pictures show the attractive 'crows feet' beading on the outer corners of the frame.

It looks a bit dirty/rusty at this size but in hand it looks much cleaner.

The reverse - this picture shows the ring has not been soldered on the back which is typical of manufacture by Rudolf Souval.

A closer shot of the non soldered ring and the eye catching corner beading.

I think this photo shows the flaw around the 3rd and 4th bead on the upper edge of the 12 o'clock arm.

The maker mark.

I thank you all for taking the time to have a look at my post and of course any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Nice Souval - congrats

Comment

I wonder why they never soldered the back of the ring on? I really like the shape of the beading on these Souvals

Comment

I have/had some Souvals with soldered ring so not always.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
          at first they all looked the same but I'm really getting into doing the research into each new one I get and spotting the little characteristics of each maker.
          I know what you mean. It takes time, but eventually most crosses will look completely different from one another, and that's when the hobby is at its best because that's when real close study can begin. Keep looking, looking, and looking.

Congratulations on a nice WWII period Souval. Not such an easy maker to find a for-sure wartime example of. In my opinion this type (marked [98] and with the Schenkl 27 core) is definitely a wartime piece.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by plaut View Post
            I have/had some Souvals with soldered ring so not always.
            Hello Michal,

At one time I collected Souval EK as a sub focus in my collection. I have had quite a number in hand and never come across one with the ring soldered on the reveres side of the frame. I'd very much like to see a photo of one if you have any available. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

A nice example like the guys say !

I like the design of these

Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X