EK2 Spange - Deumer & Ziemer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 Spange - Deumer & Ziemer

These two EK 2nd Class clasps were part of a recently-acquired private collection. My homework on the Spange indicates that they are period originals - one being a Deumer (marked L/11) and the other an unmarked Ziemer & Sohne.

Both Spange came to me having been affixed by the previous owner to a doubled, 24 cm. piece of WWI EK2 ribbon. It has small loops on either side and a nice soft, silky feel to it and does not glow under black light, so I believe it to also be period original.

Opinions and feedback confirming or refuting this conclusion are requested, please.

Thanks and regards,

John

1. The Deumer:
    Attached Files

Reverse views:
    Attached Files

Comment

Deumer clasp looks good.

Robert

Comment

2. The presumed Ziemer & Sohne:
        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse of Z&S and ribbon:
          Attached Files

Comment

Ziemer looks good too.

Robert

Comment

Ribbon:
              Attached Files

Comment

Spanges

Nice set. Jim

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Robert - Nice to see from your thread that you now also have a maker-marked Deumer. Congratulations!

John

Comment

Thanks John,

On the ribbons - WWI ribbons have a much tighter weave than WWII, from what I have found in my ribbons. In other words there are more weaves per inch in the WWI. Looking at yours they look like WWII-period ribbons. If you have a blacklight check them. They shouldn't glow in the dark. The 'loops' are identical on both sides of your ribbons, so I call them good, 'IMO.'

Your Ziemer & Sohne is a killer spange.

Robert

Comment

Thanks for your additional feedback, Robert. The ribbon is, in fact, one single piece and does not glow under black light.

John

Comment

You're welcome. If you happen to have any WWII EKII ribbon (red, white and black) look at it under a 10X loupe if you have one. You'll see the same, or close, to the same number of weaves per inch in the ribbon.

Robert

This looks like the same ribbon you have. It's WWII-era ribbon. Dealers (some of them) have stockpiled rolls of WWII-era WWI ribbon to fitout their imperial EKII's with.
                        Attached Files

Comment

For reference here are two EKII ribbons, a WWI-era and a WWII-era. Notice how many more weaves per inch there are in the original 1914 EKII ribbon than the WWII EKII ribbon...

Robert
                          Attached Files

Comment

Excellent feedback and reference, Robert. Much appreciated.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X