Opinions wanted on this Iron Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions wanted on this Iron Cross

I have had this quite awhile...have heard that these were strewn about the dead & wounded German soldiers by the Russians as a propaganda tool...what is the REAL story on these???.,,,,thanks,,,Robert
    Attached Files

Originally posted by militarymania View Post
    I have had this quite awhile...have heard that these were strewn about the dead & wounded German soldiers by the Russians as a propaganda tool...what is the REAL story on these???.,,,,thanks,,,Robert
    First off, this really belongs in the Imperial Forum

There are some crude cast-iron crosses that were manufactured as propaganda. Whether they were ever dropped over trenches or on soldiers is questionable. To me, it's doubtful. There are different types but none is like this one. The cross with "KULTUR" on it is one type, probably from the UK. An American version says "To Der Kiser" [sic].

No one knows for sure what the deal with yours is, but in my opinion it was probably made in Germany, by Germans, as a commemorative piece. Possibly a Gold For Iron kind of thing. I'd love to find out for sure what exactly it is though.

Anyway they are collectible in their own right and routinely sell for a bit more than an authentic 1914 EK2 (in the neighborhood of $100). I think the KULTUR ones can get a bit more.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Since all the towns on it appear to be Belgian or French, it may be a cross from one of those countries, honoring service in WW1.

But as stated above, I really don't think this is any kind of propaganda cross, nor is it 3rd Reich.

best
      Hank

Edit: Unless the "W" in the middle is an exclusively German thing...either way, I still believe it would be a cross honoring WW1 service. Just an idea/opinion.
      Last edited by Hank C.; 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM. Reason: more info
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

many thanks for the replies;if this thread needs to be moved to the Imperial section,,,please do so,,,Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X