EK 1 Spange x 2 Cased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK 1 Spange x 2 Cased

Showing pictures (the only which I have at this point) of two 1st Class Spange which I am about to purchase, but I wanted to get opinions here first, please.

Based upon my research on this Forum, I believe that I have safely ruled-out the raptor-factor and am thinking that these are both period originals and standard award pattern clasps by the "unknown" maker, possibly "intermediate" types.

The stencilled cases both have the later squared-corners and rectangular push-button catch release mechanisms.

To my eyes, both Spange have the same attachment hardware - hinges, pins and flat-wire retaining clasps.

However, there are differences in the numerals ("1" & "3" in particular) and differing ribbon patterns at the bottom of the wreaths - the Spange with patina having a ribbed type and the frosty, burnished Spange having flat ribbons (as seen in the "raptor" fakes but on those the retaining clasp is round-wire).

Your opinions and feedback will be appreicated.

Regards,

John

1. Cased Spange with patina:
    Attached Files

Reverse views:
    Attached Files

Comment

2. Cased Spange - frosty & burnished:
      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse views:
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello John,

Spange n° 1 = Original unmarked Schimdhäussler

Spange n° 2 = Original unmarked Schikle (sometimes we found thath same spange marked L/18)

Congrats for two pieces surely uncommons .

Ciao

Comment

Hi John

Wait for confirmation but, to me, the first spange is easy because I have the same one in the same identical case: a nice original "unknown maker" (which I beleive is now being attributed to E. Schmidthäußler of Pforzheim because of a specimen found complete with case & the outer cardboard box marked to this maker).

Your second spange looks like a mint Mayer to me but wait for the experts because there are 2 very similar variants from different makers I tend to confuse. The case for the second one is identical to another case I received with a Deumer spange a long time ago but from others I have seen I think your spange is the proper one for this case type

Regards

JC

Comment

Thanks to you both for your much-appreciated feedback.

JC - I had ruled-out B.H. Mayer based upon my experience of that maker using a flat pin and narrow barrel hinge...but perhaps there were other variations used by that maker. As you mentioned, let's wait for additional feedback.

Regards,

John

Comment

1. Original Unknown Maker / possible Schmidhäußler
                2. Original Mayer
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, Trevor. Much appreciated.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X