purchasseing EK's in ww2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purchasseing EK's in ww2

Quick question hope its not to stupid, If a soldier wanted to purchase a backup EK1 or ek2 ect... ect..., would he have to produce his award certificate to the jeweler? Or where would he go about doing so?

And would the answer of this go for any award?

Thanks

Dan Plomish

Private purchases were possible. Not sure if the award doc was required to purchase, or just to ensure it was awarded if "challenged" by an officer or NCO.

hope that helps
    Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

There was a document required. As far as i know, either the Award certificate or a special document, which allowed the owner to purchase Medals.

all the best,
      Gerd

Comment

I know that having the award document was imperative to proving that you had earned the awards you were wearing, but I dont know if you had to produce the document to buy subsequent copies of your awards, but my gut says NO. I dont know how the German sales system was set up, but I know that I can walk into my local BX and buy any award currently issued (except the Medal of Honor), but if I start wearing Purple Heart, Bronze Star, or Silver Star ribbons on my uniform, I had better be able to prove that they were awarded to me.
        Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
        All the best,
        Chris

Comment

Soldiers had to show thier Soldbuch entry to the retailer. That was all the proof required.
          Don
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Hello
            I quote from memory (I am at the office ) so forgive me in advance for possible mistakes. Anyway, I believe that the sale of Knights Cross by retailer was forbidden in the 1941 years.
            If a knights cross holder would have lost his RK, he should contact the authorities.
            Regards
            Denis

Comment

-

I guess that you wore the awards "on your own risk" so to say. If the MP didnĀ“t find the awards in your Soldbuch, you were in big trouble.

Comment

wow thanks guys1

Thanks so much for all your replys, that was great to get all that information.

I can always count on you guys

Comment

Originally posted by hankmeister
                  Private purchases were possible. Not sure if the award doc was required to purchase, or just to ensure it was awarded if "challenged" by an officer or NCO.

hope that helps
                  Hank
                  Alternately, were civilian private purchases possible? Apart from the odd next-of-kin that wanted mementos, there would have had to been some collectors - especially in the early days before the economy started to go downhill.

--Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X