Dkig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dkig

I have this listed on eStand and wanted to get opinions about it here from experts. I bought this item from eMedals and was told it was late issue and the recipients name is etched into the back. His name was Udo Panter and I cannot find any information on him and was told because it was late issue that there were hundreds like this one where the recipient could not be found????

Thanks for your help and input!!
    Attached Files

Can anyone tell me how to research the name???
    Last edited by sam1chlt; 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I have no Udo Panter in my records either.
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
        I have no Udo Panter in my records either.
        Regardless of the name on the reverse, the cross is a textbook lightweight Zimmerman example.

I think that if the name were added postwar to enhance the value the conman doing so would at least add the name of a known recipient.

Dietrich, have you ever cross other undocumented recipients out there or a similar scenario? I imagine during the later months in the war things were a bit hectic on the front lines and proper notations weren't always in order.

William Kramer
        Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

I have no doubt that the record regarding the German Cross in Gold and Silver are not complete. Especially in the area of late war Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe. I personally do not think that a name, real awardee or not, does add a lot to a cross since it can or could be done at any time.
          The important thing is that the cross is good, which is -of course - the case her.

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply and knowledge! Very much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Sam

Comment

Archives....Missing names.

Sam1chlt:

Try contacting the German Archives....Wehrmacht Information Office Berlin.
              E-mail: wast@com-de.com Website: www.dd-wast.de

They can atleast steer you to the proper department once you tell them what you would like to accomplish.

Your guy could actually be 'missed' in the Awards records branch....There were some known Close Combat Clasps & even Knight's Crosses 'missed' until after the war ended. They were "recorded" at Headquarters but never "issued" because of the frenzy building up more each day as the war's end came nearer. If that is not a fictitious name on the back of your 'DK' then the archives should be able to pull his record.

Let us know how it ends.

Ron

Comment

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!!

Regards,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by RKC View Post
                  Sam1chlt:

Try contacting the German Archives....Wehrmacht Information Office Berlin.
                  E-mail: wast@com-de.com Website: www.dd-wast.de

They can atleast steer you to the proper department once you tell them what you would like to accomplish.

Your guy could actually be 'missed' in the Awards records branch....There were some known Close Combat Clasps & even Knight's Crosses 'missed' until after the war ended. They were "recorded" at Headquarters but never "issued" because of the frenzy building up more each day as the war's end came nearer. If that is not a fictitious name on the back of your 'DK' then the archives should be able to pull his record.

Let us know how it ends.

Ron
                  solid advice and sounds like a fun research project actually!

William Kramer
                  Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

I have sent them an email and started the project! Thanks again for all your help!!

Regards,

Sam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X