No announcement yet.

SS skull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben, Many thanks, Just by reading through the old posts, I am finding that you gentleman have a serious passion and a wealth and information on Third Reich items, I hope I can offer something for everyone out of this stuff.

Comment

I'm not an Iron Cross expert, but I think the cross in posts 20 and 21 is the 1850s version of the 1813 2nd Class cross.

The 1st Class cross in post 27 is an extreme oddity. But that doesn't mean it's 'wrong'.

The 1813 Cross was originally produced in very small numbers and recipients sometimes had to wait for other holders dying before they could 'inherit' their crosses. In the 1850s, it was decided to produce enough 'new' 1813 crosses of both classes for all the recipients from 1813-15. I'm doing this from memory, but I think it's about right.

In any case, the last 1850s version of the 2nd Class 1813 cross I saw for sale was priced at about $1000.

The 1st Class........?? Who knows??

This would be better shown on the 'Crosses' forum.

Comment

Thank You Mr Lumsden, I didn't really think these items would spark such a interest, the gentleman I received them from didn't, he let his grandchildren play with them, I guess when grandma found out and almost threw them out, enter me. Now I'll have to find a helpful soul in the metal/decoration section of this form

Comment

Rich, I'm sure someone like Gary can move the whole thread over to the crosses forum for you if you ask nicely!

Comment

I really hate to bother such a important, kind and caring human being, "Pleeeeeeease"!

Comment

move this thread here so you guys can comment on the crosses, the moderators can delete the tk related posts if they want

cheers,

gary

Comment

edit the thread?

Nah, I see a 1939 EK 2 in there, so I'll just leave the thread as it is. (I might post a link to here from "Imperial" though. )
                George

Comment

The cross in post 27 and 28 is a second class with the ring missing...if you look at the picture with all the crosses you can see solder remains where the ring would have been...although it is hard to make out in pix 27 and 28 due to light and angles.

John

Comment

have we seen a shot of the back of the 1870 First class?
                    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
                    All the best,
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by EKman
                      have we seen a shot of the back of the 1870 First class?
                      I think that 1. class 1870 is a 2. class 1870 where the ribbon ring and the attachment to the cross is missing

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H
                        I think that 1. class 1870 is a 2. class 1870 where the ribbon ring and the attachment to the cross is missing

Thomas
                        Too True, I saw the pic of the back of what looked like an 1870 second class but didnt associate it with the shot I saw of what I thought was an EKI.
                        Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
                        All the best,
                        Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X