Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick S&L RK B-frame question

Hello All...

Does anyone know of any unmarked S&L B-frame RK's that definitely DO have a silver frame?
    Is there any way of knowing for sure?

I recently purchased a post-war (swastika core) one with a magnetic core, but I am uncertain as to whether the frame is actually silver.
    There are areas where the burnished finish has flaked slightly, but the exposed areas (although a touch yellower - still look very like silver with a slight patina as opposed to neusilber).

Regards - Danny

Quick S&L RK B-frame question
    Now there's an oxymoron...

Let the debates begin.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
      Now there's an oxymoron...

Let the debates begin.
      LOL!
      Yes, I should have worded that one differently!

Here's the cross in question - a recent estand purchase.

Regards - Danny
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Knee flaw and dent row:
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sure is a nice piece Danny, congrats.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                  Sure is a nice piece Danny, congrats.
                  Thanks Trevor,

I really like it, and it's probably the closest I will ever get to a 'genuine' RK.

You weren't joking about the debates - I've been reading through some of the old threads and I think I'm more confused now than I was when I started!
                  I have Dietrichs book on one side of me and three separate, extended threads open on screen. Looks like it might be a long night.

Comment

Here's a few more pictures using differing light that might show the frame more accurately. I still cannot make up my mind as to whether it is real silver or not.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Boy that's a nice cross Would an understanding jeweller be able to tell for you?

Comment

Quit a nice RK type I would only be able to get as well , if one day I decided to .
                          Testing can have chalanges . Some jewellers insist on polisheng down a corner on the flange to get through any coating and surface plating - for a chemical test . Very invasive and would not do it on your cross . Sampling the side is quit a chalange , as the soldering - if it contains silver - will give a false reading . Polishing the side heavily and delecatly scraping a sliver off the side of one of the halves to do a realy accurate test . Not sure how acurate these hand held small suface testers are ?

Douglas

Comment

You might be able to find someone with an Xray Florescence Gun (XRF) to take a reading. They use these at metal recyclers to test the purity of metals, and Environmental companies use them to test lead concentrations in paint. No damage would be done to the cross.

Comment

Hi Danny,

I do own to similar KC's .... top one is marked "800" and bottom one "935".
                              Though both are marked, not 100% sure if the frame is then indeed silver ..... .
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X