Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 on estand...

Hello All...

No offense meant to the seller, but I would like to hear opinions on this EK1 on the estand.
    IMO, it looks suspiciously like the 'Stuttgart Fake' (note the very wide bead step and Souval-like corners).
    I have only seen these fakes in EK2 guise, but I presume EK1 versions exist.
    It's already marked as sold, but what say you guys?

Regards - Danny

The thread:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=600824

and the cross itself:
    Last edited by Dietrich Maerz; 06-10-2012, 09:06 AM.

And one of the 'Stuttgart Fake' EK2's for comparison.
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree with you Danny, that one is bad. I've seen them as EK1s before.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I posted a link to this thread in the sales thread.
        George

Comment

I have informed the buyer of this thread.

I have to go through my records...as I thought for sure this one came from a vet. If not, I know who I go this one from, as I only had 2...and the other came from a dealer

Mike
          Last edited by harrison987; 06-09-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harrison987 View Post
            Sorry guys...I got this directly from the veteran. So it is HIGGGGGHLY unlikely it is bad.

I have also informed the buyer of this thread.

Mike
            ...and yet, it is bad.

Just goes to show that as the war recedes from living memory, veteran buys are increasingly difficult to use as evidence of authenticity. It's been over 65 years since the war ended, and over that many years, many many vets (German or American or otherwise) may have picked up pieces, as souvenirs or whatever, at local gun shows, flea markets, etc., that are modern fakes like this one.

There are also famous stories of collectors visiting living vets, eager to see their awards, then swapping them for modern fakes.

Sad, but true.

The only thing we know for sure here, is that this piece is a fake
            Last edited by streptile; 06-09-2012, 11:05 PM.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

i handled that type before and i totally agree with Trevor that it is a fake.

Comment

and what exactly are the features that everyone is seeing that is making them come to that conclusion? I checked my history, and this was was bought from a very reputable dealer.

Looking at the EK2 that is posted above, it looks NOTHING like it. The Swastika looks bad on that one, as well as the overall "new" look.

I contacted the dealer, and he said 100% it is original...

So please educate me...

Comment

The seller requested to remove the pictures in this thread due to him not having given any permission to use them. I don't see any difference in posting them here AND in the sales thread, but we bow to the wishes of the owner.

And, yes, it is a fake IMHO also.

Best regards,

Dietrich
                  B&D PUBLISHING
                  Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally Posted by harrison987
                    Sorry guys...I got this directly from the veteran. So it is HIGGGGGHLY unlikely it is bad.
                    I thought that you got this from a vet?Now you say dealer?????????
                    The cross looks bad to me and I would not have it jmo.This is why you never buy the story but the item as has been said on here 1,000,000 times.This seller says vet now that the cross has been deamed by some as a fake it was bought from a dealer.

Dennis J

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                      ...and yet, it is bad.

Just goes to show that as the war recedes from living memory, veteran buys are increasingly difficult to use as evidence of authenticity. It's been over 65 years since the war ended, and over that many years, many many vets (German or American or otherwise) may have picked up pieces, as souvenirs or whatever, at local gun shows, flea markets, etc., that are modern fakes like this one.

There are also famous stories of collectors visiting living vets, eager to see their awards, then swapping them for modern fakes.

Sad, but true.

The only thing we know for sure here, is that this piece is a fake
                      The part you say about swapping out orig. for fakes has been going on since I started collecting 52 years ago.I had it happen to me" big time"so I know how that goes.

Dennis J

Comment

Dennis...

I do not appreciate the accusations...that was a little bit offensive.

I had 2 of them. After opinions on it were "fake", I double-checked to where I got it from originally. This is not the one I got directly from the vet, but rather one I bought 3 months ago or so from a dealer in the US.

I requested my photos be deleted, as well as the original sales posting in the estand, as I removed the cross from the sales floor entirely.

I have contacted the dealer, who replied by saying it is original (obviously I bought it as being an original). He has also been made aware of this thread, in the hopes that he will posibly take it back as an exchange.

Comment

This return business with some dealers is always an interesting issue. He will (most likely) say that "these Internet forums are full of BS people" and that the cross is, of course, good. So he has two options:

- to take it back (if it is good in his opinion, why not? Can always sell an original, or not!), or
                          - he will not take it back (which might be a signe that he knows, too ...)

Some dealers have an even better approach. They say, that it is good, but because it was "discussed" at a forum, it is ruined and can't be sold as an original anymore (which it is, they insist). So it is basically the fault of the buyer to act like he did.

And this will show again: only the good dealer take something back w/o even asking why. And the collective wisdom and research done of this and other fora means nothing to some people.

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING
                          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by harrison987 View Post
                            Dennis...

I had 2 of them. After opinions on it were "fake", I double-checked to where I got it from originally. This is not the one I got directly from the vet, but rather one I bought 3 months ago or so from a dealer in the US.

I requested my photos be deleted, as well as the original sales posting in the estand, as I removed the cross from the sales floor entirely.

I have contacted the dealer, who replied by saying it is original (obviously I bought it as being an original). He has also been made aware of this thread, in the hopes that he will posibly take it back as an exchange.
                            I can only go by what you say .
                            I really don't care if you like it or not.

Enjoy your hobby
                            Dennis J

Comment

Having the pictures removed limits the educational value of the thread. Why not leave them up so someone else doesn't have it happen to them too? Maybe even with the same cross.

Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X