Small size Iron Cross that walked in today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small size Iron Cross that walked in today

Today one of my good Estate sale, jewelry dealers stopped by and brought this piece in.
    It's about half the size of a normal Iron Cross, maybe 1 1/8" by 1 1/8" (28 by 28mm).
    It has beautiful hallmarks. Isn't this one of the better makers of German orders?
    I have gone through all my reference books ( which I admit, aren't that many), but I can't find anything in this size. It reminds me of German WWI or early WWII Japanese miniature medals made for children of royalty.
    Any information on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    Attached Files
    "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

better detail pic of the hallmarks
    Attached Files

Comment

that is unfortnately not a wartime piece.

Comment

Okay, I'll bite, why is it not wartime?

Comment

Don't take my above post as trying to be funny, I am just curious.
          Esp. since I have already started receiving pm's asking to buy this piece.....

Comment

I would agree with Stefan, although I think the piece looks extremely neat. Looks like a miniature B.H. Mayer

But alas it has a few problems.

For one thing, J. Godet u. Sohn did not make the 1939 Iron Cross (that we know of). Now of course they could have made a Prinzen (reduced size) for special order, but it strikes me as unlikely as no 1939 Prinzen EK1s are known to exist. So this would be the very first of its type by any maker! This item is not a known item at all.

Also, "I. Godet" is an extrememly antiquated way of writing the firm's name and was outmoded in the 19th C. By 1900 at the absolute latest, and probably closer to 1860, the firm's name was always written "J. Godet." So at a minimum the mark is added.

All that said, i think the piece is very cool and for the right price I would buy it in a heartbeat myself.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

As it's 28mm and 3 parts made it would qualify as a 'Reduktion' or 'Prinzen' size EKI and not a miniature.

Have never seen a 1939 Prinzen EKI i believe in so far, this included.

Makermark is totally wrong.

Never seen that type of hardware before on any period item.

The price of a Period Prinzen EKI would be extremly high as many would fight for it. This makes it a target of fakers.

Here is a deemed fake that seems to match yours, possible the same cross.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Roglebk; 05-25-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                Also, "I. Godet" is an extrememly antiquated way of writing the firm's name and was outmoded in the 19th C. By 1900 at the absolute latest, and probably closer to 1860, the firm's name was always written "J. Godet." So at a minimum the mark is added.
                Trev, might not be an "I", looks like a badly done "J" with a dot behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Chatt View Post
                  Esp. since I have already started receiving pm's asking to buy this piece.....
                  There's always collectors willing to gamble. At least 5 dealers/auction houses right now lists fake 'stepped core' Prinzens in the area of 300-500€

This makes them not less Fake

Comment

Cross

Bob hope you don't mind, I copied your cross and enlarged so that the stamp would be bigger. It looks like a wave at the bottom of the one. Jim
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
                      Trev, might not be an "I", looks like a badly done "J" with a dot behind.
                      Hi Carl -- you're right! It does look like a "J." now with the Rittmeister photos (yes, same cross).

So when did Rittmeister sell that one then?
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

The first thing I noticed was the very Floch-like date...

best
                        Hank
                        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                          Hi Carl -- you're right! It does look like a "J." now with the Rittmeister photos (yes, same cross).

So when did Rittmeister sell that one then?
                          Look what the cat dragged in:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=102259

Comment

Thanks for all the information.
                            It's a shame, as everything else it came with out of the estate was real.

Comment

Here's a box with (at least) two fakes in it (EK1 and sub badge) that just went up on eBay. The "J. Godet" stamp looks like it could be the same one as this little Prince, although it's hard to be certain.
                              Attached Files
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X