Ldo cased doubt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ldo cased doubt?

Hi. Can you tell me why some boxes are marked with LDO and others not?. What is the difference?. Do not carry much in this world and do not understand what you mean ...
    Thank you very much!

Cases

This would get a better answer in the cases forum. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by HAWKER HURRICAN View Post
      Hi. Can you tell me why some boxes are marked with LDO and others not?. What is the difference?. Do not carry much in this world and do not understand what you mean ...
      Thank you very much!
      LDO (L/__) marked awards came in LDO-marked cases. No doubt the cases marked LDO were available for purchase separately as well, and you could probably also buy the cross without the case, although this was technically forbidden after March, 1941.

Before the introduction of the LDO (end of 1940, beginning of 1941), cases did not bear the LDO mark.

There are two LDO marks: an early (and uncommon) mark, and a later one which is much more common. The early mark is a stylised LdO interwoven and is found on the top of the case; the later mark is found on the lid liner and is an all-capitals [LDO] inside a box.

As a total side note, I think some collectors pair LDO cases, or L/ marked awards, and outer-cartons, for EKs, KVKs, etc. In my opinion this would never have happened as L/ awards did not come with outer cartons, nor were LDO cases ever found inside outer-cartons, unless the recipient put them in there (which is totally possible of course).
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Early LdO logo:

Later [LDO] logo:

Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          As a total side note, I think some collectors pair LDO cases, or L/ marked awards, and outer-cartons, for EKs, KVKs, etc. In my opinion this would never have happened as L/ awards did not come with outer cartons, nor were LDO cases ever found inside outer-cartons, unless the recipient put them in there (which is totally possible of course).

Could you please expand on this? I am a bit confused when you talk about outer cartons. Do you mean a LDO case in an outer carton?

Comment

Sure thing.

I just meant, in my opinion, a carton like this:

...would never contain an LDO-marked case or cross. It might have an unmarked W&L cross, or a "100" marked cross, but never an L/55 marked cross. Also, it would never have a case with an LDO logo on it. In my opinion these cartons were only used on awarded EKs.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Hey guys!. Thanks for the answers, as always so helpful and helping the rest of friends!.
              Greetings!
              Gorka.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X