Cheers.
      Peter Wiking
      Attached Files

Comment

Any more opinions ?

Cheers.
        Peter Wiking

Comment

I am with Peter W, I dont like it eider.

Lombard

Comment

Im no RK expert, but I dont like it - I certainly wouldnt go for it myself.

Comment

Ok lads....could this be an example of the remains of the S&L die before it gave up all together and thereafter produced the horrible 23grm crap with the 800 stamp on the upper right or left and flogged everywhere for a couple of years prior to just falling apart.....

Dave
              Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                Ok lads....could this be an example of the remains of the S&L die before it gave up all together and thereafter produced the horrible 23grm crap with the 800 stamp on the upper right or left and flogged everywhere for a couple of years prior to just falling apart.....

Dave
                That is an interesting thought. Take a look again at the beading on the corners, as the 4 0clock does look good, but the others do not have the crisp characteristics of an original. The dates on the core, however, as noted above, do not match the originals. Is this what you think it is, Dave? The beading at the corners near the swaz is damn close- do you think it is just from wear as you have suggested?

Comment

Tom, I think that the S&L die finally just gave away! However, during its post war use the defect got worse and worse and finally ended up supporting the the 23 grm piece of crap with the 800 on the upper left/right flange of the brass frame that (came) from England.

Certain 'hints' suggest post '45 crosses but the 70's sloppy crap just shout...

Dave
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

So by that theory, the more die flaws, the further away the date of manufacture of the piece? Also, the less crisp the beading at the corners? I guess that certainly gives one pause to own any S&L with die flaws.

Comment

Tom, yes that has been the suspicion for quite a while and logical in thought but there are ofcourse other camps!

I hope not to step on other collector's toes but as is commonly known...I'm not a supporter of the war time 'die flaw' ...

The other item of interest on these crosses is the 'flat' or otherwise 'worn-out' appearing beading. I like a nice sharp slap of the hammer

Dave
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X