Protecting Iron Crosses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting Iron Crosses

Many members have concerns at protecting and preserving iron Crosses....
    Well, the big enemy is humidity.
    Here in Korea the Summers are very humid and hot and I store my collection with silica gel dehumidifiers provided by a Company in the US. Perfect results.
    I'll give them a "plug" as they are really efficient with mail order (international) and their produce is first class.
    Their web site is www.dehumidify.com

Good hunting all!

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Thanks.
    Here is a system i use:
    http://www.saljtema.se/saljtema2eng/...llenframe.html

Cheers.
    Peter Wiking

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking
      Thanks.
      Here is a system i use:
      http://www.saljtema.se/saljtema2eng/...llenframe.html

Cheers.
      Peter Wiking
      guys i only have two medals but try to keep my bunker at 70 degrees and 70% humidity...not sure if that is the best storage temp and humidity but that is the best i can keep it with monitoring. The dehumidfier has to be emptied about every other day. I have a SEARs dehumidifier. If I was smart would figure out a way to have it drain off so i wouldnt have to empty it!

Comment

hello phosphateb,

in the rear of the dehumidifier unit, there should be a punch out hole area, where you can attach a garden hose, or other tubing so you can never manually drain the unit. this will make your life more easy!

david

Comment

IMHO 70% Humidity is way too high! I keep mine around 48% and I still think that is too high. Maybe we are talking about two different things here but at 70% humidity the room would feel very damp. At 30% humidity it would feel dry. Did you mean 30% Relative Humidity?

-Shane

Originally posted by DAZAR
          hello phosphateb,

in the rear of the dehumidifier unit, there should be a punch out hole area, where you can attach a garden hose, or other tubing so you can never manually drain the unit. this will make your life more easy!

david

Comment

I agree with Shane. 70% humidity is much too high. You should try to keep it under 65% as there will be no rust forming under 65%. I think between 45% and 50% is ideal. I bought a professional hygrometer, expensive but I think your medals are worth more.

KR
            Pascal

Originally posted by Shane Bennett
            IMHO 70% Humidity is way too high! I keep mine around 48% and I still think that is too high. Maybe we are talking about two different things here but at 70% humidity the room would feel very damp. At 30% humidity it would feel dry. Did you mean 30% Relative Humidity?

-Shane

Comment

Hi,

The % quoted are ok for metal items but if any of you collect leather items it will do them no good at all,so you would have to protect the leather with somthing which is not the best idea especially with helmet linners as collectors would rather see them untreated.
              Merdock

Comment

my room is always around 35%-40% and 21 degrees celsius.
                I think the humidity is too high still.

Mads

Comment

Originally posted by mads
                  my room is always around 35%-40% and 21 degrees celsius.
                  I think the humidity is too high still.

Mads
                  guys great input...i get lower relative humidity in the winter but in the summer in alabama my little dehumidifier does good to get it at 65%. On the hose the problem is my bunker is under the house and is about 25% of the floorspace above it. I cant get it up to ground level to run the hose without it leaking back into the bunker...maybe someone has a cost effective idea?

Comment

Chris-

Our house is programmed for 45% relative humidity and 72 degrees farenheit year round. Do I need a system such as the one you posted, or is are these conditions safe to keep without a special set up? Thanks

Comment

Mads,

Dont drop it any more as below 30% is too dry .Leather(if you have any leather items) will most certainly start drying out and cracking.

Proffesional conservators suggest that 50% humidity is the best.
                      65% is the point where rust starts to form.At 70% it definately will form on bare metal.75% you are well on the way.

Comment

For medals...we are moving back to Arizona. Keeps cars from rusting away and keeps mothballed military jets preserved. For leathers, old and new alike, Neatsfoot. Used it for 35 years, works great! I have an 1860 western holster that is as supple and functional as the day it was crafted.

Regards,
                        T

Comment

Use common sense. I visited a guy once who had bought a nice display case for his collection and had researched the proper woods and all that, but the nut left the window open in his war room. Guess what happened? After a good rainstorm, but had a box full of wet badges.
                          Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
                          All the best,
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by keifer kahn
                            Mads,

Dont drop it any more as below 30% is too dry .Leather(if you have any leather items) will most certainly start drying out and cracking.

Proffesional conservators suggest that 50% humidity is the best.
                            65% is the point where rust starts to form.At 70% it definately will form on bare metal.75% you are well on the way.
                            Thanks Keifer,

I do own some leather officers boots and a belt..not to mention the sweatbands in my officers visor and overseas cap.

Mads

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen
                              Chris-

Our house is programmed for 45% relative humidity and 72 degrees farenheit year round. Do I need a system such as the one you posted, or is are these conditions safe to keep without a special set up? Thanks
                              Hi Tom....
                              with those figures you are fine....but if you keep leather items these need special attention. I dont (for that reason). EK's are easy..the drier they are, the better they like it ! Same for the cases. They are imitation leather (paper and cardboard)...so dry is good.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X