CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EK1 mm "26" B.H. Mayer with uncommon 3rd Pinsetup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 mm "26" B.H. Mayer with uncommon 3rd Pinsetup!

Here you can see an other EK1 Pinsetup variant of B.H. Mayer.
    After Fabrizio showed me this EK1 variant, which I saw the first time,
    I'm focused on that Pinsetup variant, to get it for my database.

Now, I'm very happy that I cought this EK1 variant

I will call it the B.H. Mayer 3rd Pinsetup Variant
    - see the picture variety of shapes.

1st Pinsetup is the common type of a BHM EK1.
    2nd Pinsetup is not so common type for a BHM EK1.
    3rd Pinsetup - Did see only 2 crosses so far.

Attached Files

Interesting new pin variation ... to go with 3 cores .
    It is very close to your #2 . Looking at trying to save on material during the war ... it would seam to be a trend . ... in order of your 1 - 3 - 2 . In that sence your pin 3 would be a very short lived transitional pin and this would account for the low numbers .
    BTW how thick is your pin 1 ?

Douglas

Comment

A very interesting observation Stefan!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
        It is very close to your #2 . Looking at trying to save on material during the war ... it would seam to be a trend . ... in order of your 1 - 3 - 2 . In that sence your pin 3 would be a very short lived transitional pin and this would account for the low numbers .

Douglas
        Hi Douglas,

sorry but I haven't got the EK1 of pin 1 for measurement.
        You know, to get a lot of EK1 in a short time, I have to sell them to getting money for new EK1

Comment

Originally posted by 5tefan View Post
          Hi Douglas,

sorry but I haven't got the EK1 of pin 1 for measurement.
          You know, to get a lot of EK1 in a short time, I have to sell them to getting money for new EK1
          Well start selling Junckers to me

I prefer this pin set to the 1st. I don't much like the 1st that Mayer used, for the pin or the hinge. I prefer the W&L and K&Q/Juncker pin setups. Nice block hinges with coke bottle pins. This "3rd" for Mayer looks similiar to W&L or even Duemer pins, I like it

Comment

Interesting pin for a Mayer. Good find I know the swollen pin (labeled "1st") is definitely their earliest pin, but I wonder if this pin is their 2nd or their 3rd pin. What evidence is there?

Thanks for showing the cross 5tefan. I think this one is a keeper

Originally posted by Douglas 5
            Interesting new pin variation ... to go with 3 cores.
            I know only one core for B.H. Mayer. Has there been a thread in which the other 2 cores are shown?
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Yes Trevor ... there are other cores Mayer used ... a comparison I did with samples obtained from WMA members here . Probably befor you joined ... with a pin comparison . As with my early pictures - the owners names were not added ... left is mine and the other WMA members - core date the same .

The scarcity of last found pin would sugest to me it being a short lived first attempt material saving step - as indecated in post 2 - but excelerated quickly to what he refers to 3rd pin . I am thinking a progression from - bigger/ thicker to smaller/lighter .
              Just using 1st, 2nd and 3rd by itself .... is too vage and open to be associated with a placement/sequence - rank/order . Somewhat nutral - pin 1, 2, 3 .
              Some items/parts can be associated as 1st . In this case the 'swollen' pin as you mention is Mayers 1st . I have one on a silver frame and with most likely first core .

I should point out that there seams to be a variation : pin 1 and 2 - both the wide type - are most likely a variation of each other - only 2 pin types shown here as the last one is not yet included .

Douglas
              Attached Files

Comment

The pin 1 variants :
                The massive pin I have is thicker than both halves together .
                Picture is bad and do not have the measurement of the other one ...only that his pin and frame halves were the same thickness . Also too that the silver planchets on mine may be thinner to start with ... making the pin look thicker ?

Douglas
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice crosses: 26 is my favourite maker mark for EK1s.

I always thought my mint 26 was from the russian hoarde but according to the pin type it isnt. interesting!

cheers

dave

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post

Douglas
                    I think you have the right order, Douglas.
                    Most ek's with the 2nd pin shown have a crappy paint-job, so lack the quality of the earlier crosses.

best regards,
                    Ben

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X