Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight Cross

Hi.
    I found this knight Cross at Ebay, being sold as a Iron Cross with a few bids roughly around 20 US Dollars. The seller say that he has owned it from the early 70´s. The photos was very bad, so i asked for better photos. I got new photos sent to me that i improved a bit, and shortly after that the item is pulled from Ebay. Seller say: "EBAY determined that my item was offensive and removed it from their site". The seller is still open for bids.

I think the cross interesting enough to have a discussion around it.

Cheers.
    Peter Wiking
    Attached Files

Back:
    Attached Files

Comment

Loop.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ribbon:
        Attached Files

Comment

It appears tom be a one piece casting amde from soft metal. Note the bends to the pitside edges, You can see where the paint runs into the beading.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

So you guys think it's an original? Someone can make a deal then...
            Jr.

Comment

Thanks Bob.

If we dont count the Souval cross (and possible restrikes ) when did the first fakes of the KC hit the market ? Today, Ebay and Manion is full of them.

Cheers.
              Peter Wiking

Comment

A firm named Saxony House was casting copies of this type of Knight's Cross back in the 1960's. I know bwcause I bought the original, from which rubber molds were made. It was an unmarked neusilber cross of what I consider the Steinhauer type. The center was white metal and it was completely original. I sold it when I obtained a cased, mint example.

Saxony House cast medals and badges using an Antimony alloy, which is commonly ised for printer's typeset. The owner of the company, Phil Weber, made and sold cast copies for what they were and charged approximately $10 each, at least up to a decade ago. I know if he still alive, but do not know if his business, Saxony House, still exists.

You still see his medals and badges, at shows, normally selling as repros. From the front, they look nice, but you can see the casting flaws, if you look at the reverse of pinback badges. Because they are cast from this soft material, you can actually cut the edges with your thumb nail. They were never intended to be copies capable of fooling the collector.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by junior
                  So you guys think it's an original? Someone can make a deal then...
                  Jr.

It is not original for sure.

Peter Wiking

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
                    A firm named Saxony House was casting copies of this type of Knight's Cross back in the 1960's. I know bwcause I bought the original, from which rubber molds were made. It was an unmarked neusilber cross of what I consider the Steinhauer type. The center was white metal and it was completely original. I sold it when I obtained a cased, mint example.

Saxony House cast medals and badges using an Antimony alloy, which is commonly ised for printer's typeset. The owner of the company, Phil Weber, made and sold cast copies for what they were and charged approximately $10 each, at least up to a decade ago. I know if he still alive, but do not know if his business, Saxony House, still exists.

You still see his medals and badges, at shows, normally selling as repros. From the front, they look nice, but you can see the casting flaws, if you look at the reverse of pinback badges. Because they are cast from this soft material, you can actually cut the edges with your thumb nail. They were never intended to be copies capable of fooling the collector.

Bob Hritz
                    Thanks Bob.

Peter Wiking

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X