Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got a DKIG with history!!

Good evening Gentlemen,

After selling my waffenrock uniform and some armbands and medals I finally had enough money to get a DKIG which I've always wanted!

It was also named to a Karl Conen who was one of two survivors when U-460 was sunk by USA aircraft in october 1943.

He was awarded the DKIG in november 1943 so was picked up by another U-boat which he was refuelling when his one was sunk.

I don't know anymore about him such as what U-boat he then served on or what he did for the rest of the war. If anyone knows a way of finding out more information I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks for looking.

Jay
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

134, Otto Klein
      Attached Files

Comment

Karl Conen with his DKIG in wear
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice genuine DK!

If one would go after the previous reported knowledge, however, the cross would not be his awarded cross. There exists still the notion, which is held up by some for reasons unknown, that the Präsidialkanzlei numbers (PKZ for short , not PKA) were introduced mid 1944.

That is, of course, utter nonsense and goes against every serious research outside of the field of the Knights Cross. The Knights Cross, however, is a different issue but that should be known to every serious student of the subject. The PKZ numbers were in use end of 1942/beginning of 1943.

Thanks for posting the cross!
          Last edited by Dietrich Maerz; 03-25-2012, 04:50 PM.
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

...a nice, bright Klein.....Nice score!
            I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Nice cross. Congratulations. . -Ger

Comment

Hi Jay,

Great looking piece. I recall seeing the sale site...were you able to get the letter from his brother?

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

After selling my waffenrock uniform and some armbands and medals I finally had enough money to get a DKIG which I've always wanted
                  ------>You sold so many for the DK only or DK grouping?

Comment

Congrats Jay , a lovely cross mate

Nick

Comment

A Klein DKiG would not fit the time line for Conen receiving this piece in 1943, but possibly could be another that he received and owned.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Yes I got a couple of period photos of Karl and a signed document from his brother stating that the DK belonged to him.

No one know how I could find out anymore information on the said fella please?

Jay
                        Attached Files

Comment

Always the case with "attributed" items. Unless there is refutable proof this belonged to the recipient, it's likely just a case of someone taking a piece of paper (photo or award doc) and mating them with a medal of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                            Always the case with "attributed" items. Unless there is refutable proof this belonged to the recipient, it's likely just a case of someone taking a piece of paper (photo or award doc) and mating them with a medal of some sort.
                            There is a signed and dated testimonial from his brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam S. View Post
                              There is a signed and dated testimonial from his brother.
                              Thanks for that Adam, I thought that was pretty refutable proof as well!

I do believe his brother is still alive too!!

Cheers

Jay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X