Battle damaged RK's: the real deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle damaged RK's: the real deal?

I've always had a question regarding some RK's that, from time to time, are being sold at auction sites or by private collectors. The so called "battle-damaged" RK... are what they seem to be or just another way to add more dollars to a grouping or medal?

Some examples:

Source: http://www.ritterkreuz.us/battle-dam...reuz/#more-751

This one "belonged" to KIA officer Karl Eglseer (General der Gebirgstruppe). The RK was found at his crash site, along other items.

Source: https://www.emedals.com/Pages/Direct...s.aspx?id=3743

Or maybe this RK attributed to pilot Rudolf Frank. This peculiar knight Cross was discussed here some time ago, but again: would a dealer go as far as "conditioning" an original RK in order to add more value to his sale?

Or this RK, that has already made "headlines" here on WAF.

What are your thoughts with all of this? For the rookie collector (like me ) if anyone tries to sell us a "battle damaged" RK we woudn't doubt a minute it is the "real deal", but for the trained eye, there is always a second analysis.

Like to know your ideas!

Regards,
    Sepp.

IMO a battle damaged KC, no matter to whom it once belonged (well almost then), is worth less than an undamaged cross. So faking a battle damaged cross by destroying an original is plain stupid!

Comment

If they're the real deal then I guess they're like salty helmets etc, but if someone dings them up for extra money they should have the same done to them. Surely no one does this on purpose, unless they're trying to hide really good fakes.

Comment

Any attributed piece of militaria could be worth more as you are also paying for the (documented) history/story. A slightly battle damaged and attributed KC of a well known recipient is worth more than a mint unknown pce to my opinion but as always beware of the story....
        Kapitein

Comment

Dont buy the story buy the piece!

Comment

Story: I fully agree
            A friend has an attributed and well documented RK of a shot down pilot which was found years ago when salvaging the wreck.
            Of course the cross is no longer in a good condition but the history is neat.
            Collectors are willing to pay more for such pieces.
            Kapitein

Comment

The story behind anything has to be backed by 100% iron clad proof, or its just b******* to make bucks $$$$!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitein View Post
                Any attributed piece of militaria could be worth more as you are also paying for the (documented) history/story. A slightly battle damaged and attributed KC of a well known recipient is worth more than a mint unknown pce to my opinion but as always beware of the story....
                Kapitein
                Correct that its called "provenance" in the collecting slang.....

Comment

In my opinion any award that has been issued no matter its condition its worth more than an unissued one...specially for those awards related to achivmenst in combat..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X