Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Merit Crosses opinions

Hi all,

Here is a set of items being sold by a local. I have held War Merit Crosses before but these I only have the single picture to judge by. Let me know what you think.

Fred
    Attached Files

Hard to tell. The wound badge in that set rings alarm bells right away (for reasons that should be obvious to most collectors! )

You've either got a bunch of cheap knock-off fakes or an absolutely insanely valuable set there.

From those pictures it is hard to tell.

The 20 July Wound Badge is based on the common Wound Badge, but the helmet is slightly higher and larger; it also bears the date "20 Juli 1944" and a facsimile of Hitler's signature below the helmet and date.

The 20th of July Wound Badge is by far the rarest of these awards, as it was only issued to those injured during the failed attempt on Adolf Hitler's life at the Wolf's Lair headquarters in Rastenburg, East Prussia. Twenty-four were present when the bomb detonated.

Comment

More pics needed as already said.

If that WB is real you will be able to take early retirement

Nick

Comment

Now there's a thought

Comment

If the seller is local, then get your camera, and make some good close up, straight on shot of front and back of all the crosses in there.

You can't say anything for sure from that blurry picture.

/Flemming

Comment

Yes, How much is the seller selling the lot for? The price, if it is too good to be true, i would not buy them

Comment

I agree with all the comments above. If the set (as pictured) is $50, I'd say good deal. Anything over that needs close examination.
              Good luck!!
              Collecting minis and KVKs

Comment

Hi all,

I am going to be going to see the man today and hopefully get some better pictures. I will let you all know what happens. Anything else I should know about this wound badge?

Comment

Badges

Hi mate.

Based on the photo I would say the war merit cross 2nd classes look good, the knights cross of the war merit cross has a wrong hanger also the two 1st classes, their finish seems too similar to each other. As for the wound badge, there as rare as hens teeth so wouldn't have too much hope IMO.

Best of luck anyway

Regards

Paul

Comment

Hi all,

Just went over to see the guy and as for the wound badge it's an obvious fake. The second classes are good but the 1st classes are unknown. As for the knights cross piece it is maker marked with I think is a number 30.

Fred

Comment

I agree that the Wound Badge would set off some warning signs for me. I suspect the war merit 2nd class with and without swords are most likely good but it is hard to tell from here... I wouldn't get too into this lot money wise.

thank you,
                      scott

Comment

Hi Fred!

Regarding the KVK RK, to my knowledge (which is limited in many areas) Hauptmünzamt Wien "30",did not make any KVK:s at all.

//Thomas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X