Schinkel EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schinkel EK1

This just came in the mail. It appears to have been "vaulted" by the recipient as it is a much "crisper" vault than my 1914 EK1, slightly turning up the bead around the swastika, though just barely. Would you agree? The clasp also was curled in so I can not open the pin, but she is sweet!

Hi,

Nice Schinkel EK1! Is the core iron or non-magnetic? No concerns either way, just curious.

Re the vaulting, I'd say it was factory done as most of this style of Schinkel I have seen have been vaulted. One central corner appears to be raised but the other looks correctly formed.

Re the bent over catch, if there are no hairline cracks in the solder or the catch itself, you should be able to prise the catch open. Use the flat of a thin knife or the end of a thin screwdriver (place a thin cloth on the cross to avoid metal-on-metal scratching), position your "prising tool" of choice next to the catch, fold the excess cloth back over the prising tool) and gently lever the open end of the catch up. Only ~1mm of mevement looks like it's required in this case. If care is taken, there should be no worries. I've done this successfully on many bent over catches (due to bad packaging) on tombak/neusilber badges/crosses but it's ultimately your decision. I wouldn't advise this for zinc badges, especially badges with crimped in catches.

Regards
    Mike K
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks Mike, she has a magnetic core.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X