Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different 57 RK Case

Hi,

Has anybody encountered a similar 57 RK case?

The case measures 144 long (excluding hinge and push button), 86 mm wide and is quite thick at ~34 mm. There is a 1mm thick silver line around the top of the upper half as seen in the scans. The lower insert flocking is white, unlike the post-80s collectors RK cases which are lined in black. It's not shown, but the lower insert is recessed for an RK sized cross. The recess for the ribbon loop is very deep. I can not find anything similar in my references.

FYI, the RK appears to be an S&L cross produced from the new dies, however the core is iron (magnetic) and the core was blackened prior to construction, so I'd date it as pre-80s, probably more like 60s or 70s. The cross is not marked but the ribbon loop is 800 marked. The ribbon is soiled but probably post-war and has the remnants of a velcro fastening system at the ribbon ends.

Regards
    Mike K

Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

That is a wierd case. The line is like a DKiG/DKiS case. Have you seen a case like this before? Have you looked below the base to see if there is a maker mark?

Comment

Rk case

I have never seen a case like that either. You might have a very late wartime .

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Tainton
        I have never seen a case like that either. You might have a very late wartime .
        The base is white, which is odd. Does it glow under UV light? Once again, have you removed the base to see if there are any stamps? Does the padding behind the upper lid feel lumpy and soft, or does it make a sound like it is padded with a synthetic foam? Can you palpate any "bumps" at the insertion of the hinge to suggest wire attachments? It is sure thick like a '57 cae, but the quality seems better than the typical '57 case.

You may want to send some images to Tony Yeoman as well from Meuller Miliataria. In addition to making some fine cases himself, he is very knowledgable about different cases.
        Last edited by tom hansen; 07-04-2004, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to dig out the black light and recharge it.

For the record, I've not seen a case like it before, hence this thread to find out if anyone else has.

The only thing that glows is the thin white paper strip between the lower flocked insert and the black leatherette of the sides. The upper insert does not feel like it's padded with firm foam, as found on some repro cases. There is "give" to the padding, but more of an "even" give (sponge-like foam?, I don't know, I can't see it or access it), not like the wadding found in the upper inserts of pre-45 cases which tends to go "lumpy".

Surprisingly enough, the ribbon does not glow - I thought it would.

There are no marks anywhere on the case and the inserts are firmly fixed. I managed to gently prise up one corner of the lower ribbon recess insert - the cardboard/wood material on the lower part of the case was a dark brown colour and had a pebbly pattern, nothing like I've seen on pre-45 cases. I couldn't tell if the glue was horse-hair or modern because of the colour of the case cardboard/wood. I don't believe the case is pre-45, but the ribbon and 800-marked ribbon loop might be.

Regards
          Mike K
          Regards
          Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike,

Your case is an early 57 piece. I've seen a couple over the years (in fact there is a pic of one in my first book) but they are quite rare.

Comment

That's interresting Gordon, and Early case with a late 57 cross. I'd love to hear this one speak it's history.

-Shane

Originally posted by Gordon Williamson
              Mike,

Your case is an early 57 piece. I've seen a couple over the years (in fact there is a pic of one in my first book) but they are quite rare.

Comment

Hi,

Gordon, many thanks for the info. Nice to know there are others out there. My fault for selling your old book when your new one came out!

Shane, the RK is an early version of the later type, NOT a late (I assume you mean recent?) cross. When was the crossover between the pre-45 dies and their replacements?

Regards
                Mike K
                Regards
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K
                  Hi,

Gordon, many thanks for the info. Nice to know there are others out there. My fault for selling your old book when your new one came out!

Shane, the RK is an early version of the later type, NOT a late (I assume you mean recent?) cross. When was the crossover between the pre-45 dies and their replacements?

Regards
                  Mike K
                  Its easier to date them from the centre piece. The later centre piece with the larger acorns set higher up on the stalk came in around 1980, so I'm afraid the term "early" or "late" in respect to 1957 EKs isn't quite what some people think. I have seen 1957 RK with good quality nicely pressed frames decribed as "early" when they are post-1980 with the later centre. It was only from the mid/late 1980s that quality really fell off dramatically.

Comment

Sorry Mike should have stated that more clearly. I meant that it looked to be a later version in that the acorns were closer to the leaves and the stem was bigger, not to say that it was a recent cross. This cross is nowhere near the cheapo ones being made today. I meant it exactly as you said, an early cross of a later type. Or so my untrained eye tends to see it.

Very nice set up!

-Shane

Originally posted by Mike K
                    Hi,

Regards
                    Mike K

Comment

Mike any chance of closer pics of the cross itself? Front and back? My eyes aren't that great and I'd just like to get a closer shot of her.

Thanks,

-Shane

Comment

Hi Shane,

No worries, pics to follow. The 800 on the loop should just be visible on the reverse image.

Regards
                        Mike K
                        Attached Files
                        Regards
                        Mike

Comment

bigger scans (twice the size) are available if required...

Reverse..
                          Attached Files
                          Regards
                          Mike

Comment

Nice one

Peter Wiking

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X