Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L /58 Spange on Estand

Hello,

I'd like to get some opinions on this...I hope the owner doesn't mind.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=56991

John

A first for me and I have nothing in my files to compare it to. Relying on gut feeling alone and regarding Souval as "just another maker", I like it.
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

This brings up an interesting question. If the Souval "L/58" screwback EK 1s are now suspect, and (I believe) most Souval "L/58" war badges are suspect (Badge guys, please correct me on this latter if I am wrong.), does anybody know of absolutely good wartime Souvals anythings that are marked "L/58"?
      George

Comment

Yes, screwback EK1s!
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Kidding aside, first I would love to know if it is indeed L/58 on that spange. The pics are too bad to actually see that.
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank H
            Yes, screwback EK1s!
            And other things..

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING
            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Here is another case of . . . . .hmmmmmm? It's a Souval . . . is it pre-1945, or post 1945? It is impossible to say for sure unless it came with a grouping of other pre-1945 awards with documents. I don't have a problem with Souval per say, pilots badges and observer badges can be determined by die marks and maker marks. This one is an unkown unless someone can educate us. I sure hope it's a period piece.

Comment

I wounder does any one have a Souval that is not made off new silber?. All i see

is in that type, also the one i have.
                Note on EK´s im not in badge stuff.
                Mikael

Comment

Maybe you could post your L/58 spange, Mikael?
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

I agree

Better pictures would help,
                    I have a problem with two things...The talons do not look well formed IMO (pointy?) and the first number "9" in 1939 seems to be tilted to one side.

I can't recall where, but I remember reading something about these "lazy nines". Could be just the picture angle. I'll ask the seller for better shots.

John
                    Originally posted by Frank H
                    Kidding aside, first I would love to know if it is indeed L/58 on that spange. The pics are too bad to actually see that.

Comment

I saw a Souval Aux Cruiser marked with the usual R.S. angled letters that you see on these...it was correct in every way except for an L/58 in a box. This badge was most interesting. Does anybody have an explaination for this double marking?

John

Comment

I did mean EK´s im not in to those spanges. Just one thing, the date on this one is not what what ive seen before. Dont like it!. Just dont know wy?.
                        Mikael

Comment

Guys, if one sees a type of an item for the first time (I guess we haven´t seen L/58 spanges so far, have we?), it is to be expected that date and whatever look different. Different maker, different date. That difference alone does not make or break an item. There are original spanges with very funny looking dates.
                          Cheers, Frank

Comment

I'm the owner of the spange.
                            As I lent my scanner to a friend and won't get it back untill saturday, I only have this picture focusing on the marking. Very difficult to catch indeed.
                            Like most people here I don't have a record of a L/58 2nd class clasp.
                            I'm open to discussion on this topic, and I'd like to see someone posting a positive picture of the same clasp or able to show a picture of a clearly identified copy with similar features but different maker mark.
                            Sometimes I wonder if Souval wasn't a "ghost" company prior to 1945 begining its activity only after the 8th of May... Just kidding !
                            Last edited by jmb; 10-26-2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this helps, or if it's clear enough, or if it's even relevant, but here's the "L/58" mark on an Auxiliary Cruiser badge.

George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X