Overkill Denazified EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overkill Denazified EK1

I was wondering the maker please? The pin is very unique looking but I havn't seen it before:
    Attached Files

ek

not from dug up ??
    ha ha

Comment

IMO it looks like C.F. Zimmermann

Comment

Originally posted by fritztk View Post
        not from dug up ??
        ha ha
        No, this is real

Comment

Originally posted by plaut View Post
          IMO it looks like C.F. Zimmermann
          Not bad for £50, I think I might get it. A de-nazified EK is a variation in it's own right I suppose!

Thanks!

Comment

I'd vote for Zimmermann too

Comment

When items are so crudely de-nazified like this, you have to suspect its some anti-swastika moron vs. a vet that did this. Surely they would take a little more care if it was their medal?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                When items are so crudely de-nazified like this, you have to suspect its some anti-swastika moron vs. a vet that did this. Surely they would take a little more care if it was their medal?
                It does look very new 'damage' too, what a shame!

Comment

I collect these and from what I understand, German POWs were initially allowed to keep their awards unscathed (unless the medals were "liberated" by the captors) but after the denazification decree the awards had to have the swastika removed. I'm sure that in certain situations the POW was given little or no time to remove the offending symbol. Other times the German (usually an officer I presume) was given more time and could have it removed by a jeweler.

See this thread for more examples... may I include this one? It's quite nice... Denazified relics are always a curiosity...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d+appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by AUSGANG View Post
                    I collect these and from what I understand, German POWs were initially allowed to keep their awards unscathed (unless the medals were "liberated" by the captors) but after the denazification decree the awards had to have the swastika removed. I'm sure that in certain situations the POW was given little or no time to remove the offending symbol. Other times the German (usually an officer I presume) was given more time and could have it removed by a jeweler.

See this thread for more examples... may I include this one? It's quite nice... Denazified relics are always a curiosity...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d+appreciation
                    Thanks for the info, very interesting!

Please use the picture how you wish

Comment

There's really no shortage of these and 50 pounds is bit much I think for a relic with no maker's mark. Still, I've bought plenty of these at prices no one else would have paid!

Comment

Have to agree with you there Darrell

i very much doubt an owner of a combat award would damage their own award in such a way. especially considering what they had to go through to earn it.

cheers

dave

Comment

Originally posted by AUSGANG View Post
                          I'm sure that in certain situations the POW was given little or no time to remove the offending symbol. Other times the German (usually an officer I presume) was given more time and could have it removed by a jeweler.
                          I hear what you are saying Ausgang but considering these German POWs were banged up in a camp, going nowhere and not doing a lot, I am pretty sure they had ample time on their hands to do at least a semi decent job on their awards

I have read accounts of German POWs in Australia during and after the war and the denazification of German troops was an ongoing process that increased in intensity as the war progressed.

the requirement to remove swastikas from medals/books/uniforms etc only came later on in the war and I am pretty sure the Germans would have been allowed to denaz their awards rather than lose them

cheers

dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                            I hear what you are saying Ausgang but considering these German POWs were banged up in a camp, going nowhere and not doing a lot, I am pretty sure they had ample time on their hands to do at least a semi decent job on their awards

I have read accounts of German POWs in Australia during and after the war and the denazification of German troops was an ongoing process that increased in intensity as the war progressed.

the requirement to remove swastikas from medals/books/uniforms etc only came later on in the war and I am pretty sure the Germans would have been allowed to denaz their awards rather than lose them

cheers

dave
                            Hey DaveNZ, I was not aware of any wartime denazification, interesting indeed... i stand corrected, Sir!

Comment

well i am just going by what i read in the the books "stalag Australia"

anyone else know anything>? I am pretty sure denazifying awards went on before the war ended

I have seen photos here on WAF of German soldiers wearing denazified awards whilst POWs

cheers

dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X