RK Group: Feldwebel Walter Sumpf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Group: Feldwebel Walter Sumpf

I have owned portions of this group for close to 15 years. I've posted some of the photos and medals on several occasions. Recently, I was able to acquire Sumpf's soldbuch, pilot license and award documents. His soldbuch tells a fascinating and tantalizing story of service in two of the Luftwaffe's most specialized and classified units: III KG 100 and KG 200. More on that later. Sumpf was awarded the RK on 12-03-45, ostensibly for his service in KG 100. As I discovered however, the RK may have been presented for actions having nothing to do with that unit. Sumpf never received an actual RK, wearing instead a converted EK II. The group contains two of these. The nicer of the two appears to be the one worn in this (obviously) post war photo of Sumpf. The more rustic version appears to be the one worn in this very late or early post war photo
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The rest of Sumpf's medals are here
      Attached Files

Comment

Following basic training, Sumpf served for a time in 2 Komp. of the Luftwaffe Wachbataillon. He was then trained as a bomber pilot, serving in units on the Eastern Front. His next assignment took him to III KG 100, where he became involved in the "Fritz X" radio guided bomb program. Operating from a base in Greece, Sumpf participated in the famous mission to bomb the Italian fleet at Malta. His photo album contains several extremely rare photos of the specially modified KG 100 aircraft on their way to Malta w/ the Fritz X bombs on the wings. Sumpf also participated in the KG 100 Fritz X attack on the bridges at Avranches after the Normandy landings. He was then cross trained to fly the FW-190 and transferred to KG 200, the secretive special operations wing of the Luftwaffe. He was further trained to fly numerous aircraft types, to include the bomber variant of the ME-262. Sumpf served in 10/KG 200 which flew the F8 variant of the FW-190. Operating from Stavanger, Norway in the closing days of the war, the actions of this unit are clouded in secrecy. It is thought that KG 200 was used to spirit German officials out of the country at the end of the war using the wing's fleet of unique aircraft and network of clandestine airfields. Sumpf's soldbuch reflects continued service in KG 200 until 13-10-45. Sumpf passed away in 1994. I have never seen or heard of an RK attributed to KG 200, although it would seem logical that the unit would have had many candidates. Perhaps Sumpf actually earned the RK as a member of KG 200?
        Attached Files

Comment

I cannot fully decipher the final KG 200 entry....???????? Kmdo KG 200 Nachschub Komp. V
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Luftm40; 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

His license, which shows training in a variety of aircraft, o include he ME-262
            Attached Files

Comment

His pilot badge document. Slightly trimmed and pulled from a frame. Sumpf also modified the date for some reason. The original 1941 date under the correction is correct per his soldbuch

His clasp document as well
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Luftm40; 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Several honorific documents from KG 100 documenting the achievements of Sumpf and his crew.
                Attached Files

Comment

Mission photos of the KG 100 radio guided bomb attack on the Italian fleet and Avranches bridges....
                  Attached Files

Comment

I believe these are photos of 10/KG 200 in Stavanger, early Spring 1945
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sumpf apparently knew H U Rudel. and this wartime inscribed photo was also in the album...
                      Attached Files

Comment

very nice.....and thanks for sharing.

keep it together.

martin

Comment

Sumpf's photos were contained a cheap, "sticky" 1970s photo album with typed captions. The album was damaging the photos, so I removed them and recreated the captions.....I still have the original album though...
                          Last edited by Luftm40; 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

what a great grouping! Glad you could manage to get the documents.

Stefan

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X