Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I tidy up this ribbon?

Fellow Members,

This is the ribbon that came with the Shinkle EKII currently under discussion on the forum. It is 25mm wide and its main stripe is of a pinkish, orange colour.

I would like to 'tidy it up' if possible.

I don't think washing is a good idea but what about ironing it?

Is this possible to iron the ribbon without damaging it and is ironing a ribbon deemed a fair practice?

Also, note the colour. This maybe of interest to Peter Wikings current thread.

Thanking in advance.

Regards...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hagwalther; 06-12-2004, 07:18 PM. Reason: Formatting

I think ironing it would be okay however I would use a medium heat setting and place a reasonably thick piece of material over it when you iron it.

Comment

Hag, the obvious would ofcourse be ironing but don't and I'm sure Peter means well but try this approach:

A spray bottle, some clean water and gentle hands!

Spray it lightly and with your fingers pull in gently apart until it is flat....rub your fingers along the length to 'smooth' it out then place a cotton towel (even paper town w/out design or embossing) on top and simply lay a book or somethin atop that.

Let it sit for an hour and then air dry!!!

Easy stuff

Dave
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

no problemo

I've ironed plenty. Never ruined one. Use a low heat and a spray bottle of water, as indicated. I wouldn't soak it, though. Just enough to soften the wrinkles.

For those faint-of-heart, hold it to some steam until it softens then flatten it with something "neutral", like a plate-glass.
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

I have used an iron on ribbons with great results. Use an iron with steam, but do remember to put a cotton cloth between the ribbon and the iron.
          Thanks for noting the color of the ribbon. Post it in my thread if you want to.

Cheers.
          Peter Wiking

Comment

Thanks ...

Thanks Peter B, Peter Wiking, Ralph and Dave.

I took this approach in the end being that I ironed the ribbon for a good 15 minutes under a low heat between two cotton cloths on an ironing board.

I only let the heat go through to the ribbon for a maximum of about two seconds and then gave it a break for about 10 seconds.

It has taken most of the light creases out while leaving the heavy ones in giving a tidyish but used look which I think looks good for a used medal.

Again, thanks to you all.
            Attached Files

Comment

I've ironed quite a number of ribbons over the years and used a number of techniques to protect the ribbon while applying the heat. For the most part, the ribbons seemed to gain from the experience.

I'd be remiss, however, if I did not mention that there are a couple of categories of ribbon - many pre-1918, but some made much later - that can lose their moire shimmer and become as "dead" looking as if they were manufactured out of cotton. I've also seen fairly stiff ribbon go limp and "repro," no matter what precautions were being taken...

If you have a lot of patience and some high grade, acid-free writing paper, you can sometimes get satisfactory results by wrapping the ribbon in a paper sleeve, piling several books on top of it and just letting it sit for a couple of weeks.

Jim

Comment

J Howland.
                Good idea to put a paper around it, if pressed inside a book. Imagine your expensive Knigh Cross ribbon full of printed material from the book

Cheers.
                Peter wiking<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_470403", true); </SCRIPT>

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X