Sometimes worth to clean..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-

I have to go and clean my WSS-tunic that hasnĀ“t been cleaned since the battle of Narwa back in 1944 now. Bye!

Comment

Originally posted by Dez H
      People who clean badges should have thier fingers cut off.
      Gee Dez, that's kinda harsh! Patina comes back but my fingers won't!
      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

In my opinion, I think that if you can make an origional piece look like new again, do it! Who wants a rusty, dingy piece of crap just because it's an antique! Look at old automobile's, a restored Model T Ford will bring a much higher price than one that was pulled out of a farmer's barn and is rusted out and falling apart! And as for myself, I see lot's of Third Reich Militaria that is for sale that I wouldn't have if the seller gave it to me free! It's all moth eaten or dingy or smells! I want something that I can be proud to display and I alway's seek out the best available. Good luck with your Iron Cross. It looks great

Comment

Again If cleaning can actualy helpt eh piece then I support it. Let's say for instance that some sort of residue seems to be on... ...An Ek. If cleaning it off would actually benefit the piece and prevent further deterioration, then I'm all for it. The cross posted here does look good after the cleaning. So long as no damage was done to the EK, then...

As for Gram's Goblets, they are already out and slated to be cleaned!!! Try and stop me They have been clenaed so many times before that this time will be no different.

I guess it is a fine line of necessity vs. preference.

-Shane

Comment

Please think!

Why would anyone put an acid (lemon juice) or a corrosive(salt) on metal?

Please remember!

Anytime that you use a harsh cleaning agent, chemical or otherwise, you are REMOVING the original surface to some degree. This is not replacable. The more this is done the further away from ORIGINAL CONDITION the item becomes. Original condition is very important to many collectors. Or at least it should be.

Some of the problems associated with determining authenticity is that many good collectables have been dinked around with in the name of IMPROVING and RESTORING. Granted this is done with good intentions but with unforeseen tradgic results at times. A restored or improperly cleaned item will not have the same value as an original unimpaired example to serious colllectors. There are two schools of thought but original condition always wins out in the end.

A safer and much more responsible approach would be CONSERVATION and PRESERVATION. There is not an infinate supply of good collectables out there and more are being compromised thru good intentions but poor technique or knowledge.

Far be it for me to say what anyone can do with their property. But please try to remember that in the long run we as "owners" are just custodians for these collectables until the next fellow down the line takes over for us. We owe that to future collectors and to the items themselves that we follow the Physicians Creed of doing no harm.

Sorry for preaching but I have seen way too many good medals and decorations and other collectables done irreversable harm thru good intentions.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Tony,
              Salt and lemon goes with just about anything. A little garlic and you have something

Comment

I suggest......

......a healthy dose of peppermint schnapps mixed in with your cleaning solution(whatever that may be). This way one has the added benefit of imbibing all that patina at the end of the job......and one's awards smell fabulous too!

In reality......I agree with Jos. Some awards look good with patina and others don't.

As always......a controversial subject.

--------------------

Bruce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X