Early Rettenmaier Tombac Core EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Rettenmaier Tombac Core EK1

Presenting now a rare find I would like to share .... an early tombac core unmarked Rettenmaier EK1 .
    The following cross has and shows all the specific identifying features which are assotiated with any marked Rettenmaier frame and core as can be seen posted in Maerz and Stimsons EK1 book on pages around 364 to 367 . This peticular not magnetic unmarked version is not mentioned in the book which I contribute to the scarcety of this type . Unmarked crosses are always harder to identify and one has to match same features of marked ones . This cased cross I had obtained as a S&L EK1 (connecting bead) long befor the EK1 book came out .
    Only after wards I discovered that it was not a S&L cross but made by Alois Rettenmaier as it had all the other features soly associated to their die . I would not be surprized after reading this other same samples may come to light that - be it in small numbers even with some pin variations - which were also originaly thought to be S&L crosses .

There will be about 8 posts with around 16 pictures . Included at the end will be an interesting surprize - not shown in the book and like wise sofar not seen/found on any other cross .... just something I stumbled across while doing this project .

At the end as usual comments and other samples are welcomed .

Regards Douglas
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

4 ...
        Attached Files

Comment

5 ...
          Attached Files

Comment

6 ... The main feature ---> The corner chip !
            Attached Files

Comment

7 ....
              Attached Files

Comment

8 ....
                Now the very odd thing I came across and have not seen on other crosses .
                The round disk the 1 stands on !! Something that probably only can be seen on new dies . Comparing cores of 16 and L59 marked crosses this perfect disk no longer shows up ... only a somewhat flat edge gets struck - wear/plugged die ??

Douglas
                Attached Files

Comment

9 .... From the side the foot of the 1 has a perfect triangular shape !
                  Attached Files

Comment

10 ... For comparison of one of the main Rettenmaier identifying features I am adding the same chip from a 16 marked EK2 and a L59 marked EK1 .
                    From the progressed die wear on the L59 the mm 16 EK2 was strucked befor the L59 .
                    Attached Files

Comment

This concludes my postings and now open for comments ... and after checking your other tombac core S&L EK1s ... we may have more simular early Rettenmaier crosses that can be shown . They are out there !!!

Regards Douglas

Comment

Interesting. I have one that I always had though was S&L. I'll have to check the details carefully but I can already see the dimple on the corner of the frame.

Rich
                        Attached Files
                        Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Douglas,

the number design is same like on the EK1 on this thread:
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=537735

The T-frame was also used by the EK2 333 faker! See picture #31.

According your statement on the other thread your rated all Rettenmeier EK1 as "
                          ... A new generation of fakes !
                          There actualy is a rare early tombak core Rettenmaier EK1 I am guessing they tried mimicking with Bens unm Rettenmaier."

Why do you think now, that your shown EK1 on this thread is good and ben and my EK's are a new generation of fakes?

I can't belief what I see

Comment

Stafan :
                            I did not rate all Rettenmaier EK1s as fakes . Only the one - unmarked brass core Ben opened that thread with .
                            " There actualy is a rare early tombac ... " ... which is the one I just posted above here . As you will notice this one nor any other Rettenmaier I have has the 'side bead flaw ' .
                            Any thing with this flaw or a 333 core I consider to be post war made .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                              Stafan :
                              I did not rate all Rettenmaier EK1s as fakes . Only the one - unmarked brass core Ben opened that thread with .
                              " There actualy is a rare early tombac ... " ... which is the one I just posted above here . As you will notice this one nor any other Rettenmaier I have has the 'side bead flaw ' .
                              Any thing with this flaw or a 333 core I consider to be post war made .

Douglas
                              Douglas,

guess what is closer to the 333 EK2 fake.
                              Your EK1 or Ben's EK1
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X