Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits from being RKT or DK winner?

Hello all,

I was wondering if winning the RK/DK provided the awardee with other benefits, such as pay increase/leave/promotion (which I assume meant pay increase) ?

Any examples of these or any other 'benefits'?

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

groupies

Comment

From small bits of information that sometimes come with groups I think they were definately treated as hero"s --A few weeks home leave often with parades in their home town etc. The local papers listed and gave a write up to "their" awardees. Gifts from prominent people/companies, telegrams or letters of congratulations from the town mayor up to their army group commander and sometimes top politicians. I would also think promotion was very likely. As to the Wehrmacht brothels and what privileges might be given there we can only guess!

Comment

Originally posted by StefanK. View Post
        groupies
        Originally posted by nick-j View Post
        From small bits of information that sometimes come with groups I think they were definately treated as hero"s --A few weeks home leave often with parades in their home town etc. The local papers listed and gave a write up to "their" awardees. Gifts from prominent people/companies, telegrams or letters of congratulations from the town mayor up to their army group commander and sometimes top politicians. I would also think promotion was very likely. As to the Wehrmacht brothels and what privileges might be given there we can only guess!
        Guys,

thanks for your input but when I put benefits in quotes I wasn't implying things such a brothels. Sorry, maybe I should not have put the word in quotes as I can see now how that could be interpreted.

It was a serious question and I meant from an official view point, i.e. from the military/government. I just couldn't think of any other possibilites other than leave, pay or promotion (which might include the 2 former possibilities).

I have seen some private ranks with the RK and it seems strange to me they remained at that rank but I don't know if maybe the promotion came shortly after.

I think in the UK armed forces, for example, winning the Victory Cross or MC does not come with a promotion nor extra pay (but would stand corrected if it did). So I am curious with RK/DK winners.

Rich
        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon View Post
          Guys,

thanks for your input but when I put benefits in quotes I wasn't implying things such a brothels. Sorry, maybe I should not have put the word in quotes as I can see now how that could be interpreted.

It was a serious question and I meant from an official view point, i.e. from the military/government. I just couldn't think of any other possibilites other than leave, pay or promotion (which might include the 2 former possibilities).

I have seen some private ranks with the RK and it seems strange to me they remained at that rank but I don't know if maybe the promotion came shortly after.

I think in the UK armed forces, for example, winning the Victory Cross or MC does not come with a promotion nor extra pay (but would stand corrected if it did). So I am curious with RK/DK winners.

Rich
          A VC winner is entitled to a salute from men who hold a higher rank than himself. So a General would salute a Lt first if he held a VC

Cheers Adam

Comment

There is also is/was stipend that comes with the VC 50pounds a year I remember correctly.

I think the benefits 'Richard' want to know about are like the well published Soviet benefits for their higher awards such as free tram/rail travel and a small pension etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Harland View Post
              A VC winner is entitled to a salute from men who hold a higher rank than himself. So a General would salute a Lt first if he held a VC

Cheers Adam
              Yes, you are right, I had forgotten about that but it's not really a benefit, per se, is it?

Originally posted by byterock View Post
              There is also is/was stipend that comes with the VC 50pounds a year I remember correctly.

I think the benefits 'Richard' want to know about are like the well published Soviet benefits for their higher awards such as free tram/rail travel and a small pension etc.
              Yes, these are the kind of benefits I'm referring to. Did a RKT have a special pension regardless of their retiring rank? I doubt anyone was allowed to retire during the TR later years but if they had would they have a special pension and other fringe benefits?
              Decorations of Germany

Comment

I think there were no special monetary or other material benefits, as go with higher awards in some countries. But different kinds of gifts, free meals in restaurants etc. were probably quite common. And (extraordinary) promotion was a reward in itself, but more famous RK/DK winners (like pilots, U-boot captains) often got both in the same time, or shortly after. I remember from Rudel's biography, that he got several promotions along or shortly after recieving higher classes of RK, and these promotions were antedated (as if he would be promoted a year or so ago), what probably resulted in getting salary lift for one year back.

Comment

[QUOTE=Richard Gordon;4786911]Yes, you are right, I had forgotten about that but it's not really a benefit, per se, is it?

Depends, if you don't like your boss it could be good

Comment

[quote=Adam Harland;4786928]
                    Originally posted by Richard Gordon View Post
                    Yes, you are right, I had forgotten about that but it's not really a benefit, per se, is it?

Depends, if you don't like your boss it could be good
                    LOL! Very true!
                    Decorations of Germany

Comment

from what ive read if the KC was awarded to a lower ranks, lets say soldat he was entitled to a salute from anybody that outranked him including generals.

tony

Comment

What if that General also had the RK?

Rich

ps. do you recall the source of that info?
                        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Richard,

In case of officers, they received one year's credit towards retirement and promotion after receiving the RK. For enlisted men and under officiers the RK usually meant a field commission.
                          It was Hilter's intention to make a national donation to outstanding holders of the RK and to all recipients of the OL and higher grades of the Cross. Such donations were to consist primarily of land.
                          Col. Gen. Guderian was one of those who received the grant of land. After resigning from the Army on 26 Dec. 1941 he had intended settling in southern Germany. Hilter heard about this and also knew that he came from Warthegau, or West Prussia. The Fuhrer therefore desired that he settle there and not in South Germany. The understanding was a grant of land in the Warthegau would be given him as a reward for his decoration. Guderian received a telegram in Sept. 1943 informing him that the donation, first mentioned in the autumn of 1942, had now been made. Col. Schmundt (Hilter's Adjutant) had arranged this when he heard that Guderian's home in Berlin had been destroyed. In view of his position, Guderian had no choice but to accept the gift in the sprit in which it had been made. In October 1943 he took his wife to Deipenhof, in the Hohensalza district. (from A.E.Prowse Iron Cross of Prussia and Germany)

E.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X