Spanish Cross awarded to SS personal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish Cross awarded to SS personal?

In the book "Jochem Peoper, Commander Panzerregiment Leibstandarte" is a photo from a Waffen SS NCO, August Tonk, wearing a Silver Spanish Cross with Swordsand taken during the French campaign and I wonder if he served with the LW and was transfered to the Waffen SS or were SS personal involved in the Spanish Civil War, as far as I know and I have familiars that fought in this war side by side with the Condor Legion, no SS personal was involved in our war. Any info will be highly apreciated.

Cheers

Angel
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

There were a lot of transfers

Hello Angel,

During the war, the WSS reduced their requirements for entrance into the WSS due to casualties, such that by the end of the war Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, etc. were being conscripted into the WSS to fill out the ranks. (This was especially true after the Falaise Gap debacle and prior to Operation Wacht am Rhine. It's also why you will find Kriegsmarine Erkennungsmarke in the area of the Bulge!)

I was just reading last night that Paul Hausser had served in the Bundeswehr and another organization and had retired in the early 30s. He later came out of retirement and joined the WSS in the mid to late 30s. (I can't tell you the precise dates as I'm at work and not at home. If my boss only knew ...)

Hope that is of help.
    Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

I know that at the end of the war thousands of LW and KM soldiers were drafted in the Waffen SS, but this man was Unterscharführer in 1.940 and was awarded the EK II during the French campaign and the photo clearly shows he was wearing a Spanish Cross with Swords so no transfer at late war.

Thanks

Angel
      Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Very true

Hi Angel,

There were a number of transfers during the 30s as the WSS built its strength. Paul Hausser was one who transferred services, and there were others as well, but their names escape me. Remember that a transfer might gain you a quick increase in rank since their were few combat experienced NCOs and officers in the WSS initially.
        Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Thanks Bill, I also suppose that this NCO was transfered from LW or Heer after the Spanish Civil War, but the photo only shows as decos his Spanish Cross and the EK II ribbon so no way to know if he was a LW or Heer member during the period 1.936-1.939.

My ask was pointed also in the direction of knowing if SS personal served in Spain as so, I think, and all books and inquires say so, that no SS personal was detached to Spain as members of the Condor Legion, but this is not a strong point in my library and investigation so I ask for help to other members.

Cheers

Angel

Comment

Transfers to the SS from the army were common enough in 1939/40/41. One of my grand-uncles was recruited by the SS-Verfügungstruppe late in 1940 after the French campaign. He was an Army leutnant. The SS headhunted army officers and NCOs at the time, often offering them instant promotion - ergo...more money - to transfer. At that time, Himmler was planning the expansion of the SS-VT, which would become known as the Waffen-SS. My grand-uncle accepted, as did many others. His brother was already an SS NCO...which offers yet another explanation for Angel's SS man with the Spanish Cross: perhaps he won the Spanish Cross when serving in the Legion Condor as a soldier, sailor or airman but was also a member of the Allgemeine-SS in the 1930s. When war came, he transferred to the fledgling SS-VT.

PK

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X