Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parade mount W&L EK2

Gentlemen,

I'd welcome any and all opinions on this cross and on the parade mount itself in particular. Specifically, your thoughts on the pin and wool backing combination would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Best, Alex

The cross is superb

Nick

Comment

As they say in Boston, that cross is a stunna. Don't know about the backing.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks for your opinions, Nick and Trevor. The cross certainly is one of the nicest unmarked W&Ls I've ever seen. Amazing condition. But the backing is unlike those I've seen on other 1939 EK2 parade mounts. The pin is longer and thinner for one thing, and the texture and color of the "wool" seems different as well. But perhaps this backing is typical for a W&L parade mount. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Best,

Alex

Comment

Here is my example Alex, the pin is the same

Nick
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing pics of your example, Nick. But if you carefully compare the backing on yours with mine, you'll see that they are indeed different for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. That's why I wondered if this was good parade mount or not.

Best,

Alex

Comment

There are people on here who know far more about parade mounts than I. I saw this one on the e-stand but could not convince myself that the parade mount was original. Normally on parade mounts, the ring of the EK makes an impression of some kind on the ribbon. this one showa no such impression. But again, I am no expert.

Comment

For me the pin is modern. I have never come across anything like it on an original medal bar.

Years ago when I first started collecting I bought a repro 1939 EK1....it had the exact same pin-back as is used on this medal bar.

I also don't like the way the ribbon is mounted.

Kind regards
                Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by EK Hunter View Post
                  But perhaps this backing is typical for a W&L parade mount. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Best,

Alex

Alex,

I would agree with Pierce on this. The pin and catch arrangement look post 45 to me.

As for you comment on "is this backing typical for a W&L", remember that many medal bars were put together by tailors and local military shops. Construction was as varied as there were styles. Additionally, many believe that the backing material indicates the branch of service of the owner. While this is true in some circumstances (blue backing would be for Nacy/Luft, a gray green backing for Heer) it is not always the case. Of course other colors were used such as red, yellow etc.....

Attached are a few other EK mounts for your information.

Gary B
                  Attached Files
                  ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Others...
                    Attached Files
                    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, Bernie, Pierce and Gary. I had a hunch that the mount might be post-1945. But the cross itself is still good, right? Or should I now also question the authenticity of the EK? Your further opinions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Best,

Alex

Comment

There is nothing wrong at all with the cross Alex

Nick

Comment

Thanks, Nick. That's my belief as well. But I wonder why anyone would attach an authentic, 1939 EK2 to a post-war parade mount.

Best,

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by EK Hunter View Post
                            But I wonder why anyone would attach an authentic, 1939 EK2 to a post-war parade mount.

Best,

Alex
                            The usual reason- to try and make more money. Single mounted EK2's are harder to come by than unmounted in my experience.

Kind regards
                            Pierce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X