X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh man...and I loved this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by bnz41 View Post
      I know, it's the same with other forums too, and it's to bad when good threads gets ruined for the many, by a few intellectuals who cant stand that someone has got hold of something they can never possess.

I'm very sorry for removing the pics, but it's for the best, I dont want a big dispute over moral standards.

I just wanted to show this very nice cross to fellow collectors for comments, but hey, look what happened.....
      I know, and I wasn't blaming you at all.
      Just expresing my opinions.

/Flemming

Comment

I finally managed to retrieve my Tirpitz group to take some photos. I see that the pic's that started this thread have been deleted. Very sad.
        It looks like my cross is marked 65. The experts on EK1s may be able to confirm this. The cross was awarded on 20 April 1944, onboard.
        Here are some photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

Some better photos of the cross.
          Attached Files

Comment

It is a good 65 for sure

Is the date on the award doc Hitler's birthday?
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post

Is the date on the award doc Hitler's birthday?
              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeknives View Post
                I finally managed to retrieve my Tirpitz group to take some photos. I see that the pic's that started this thread have been deleted. Very sad.
                It looks like my cross is marked 65. The experts on EK1s may be able to confirm this. The cross was awarded on 20 April 1944, onboard.
                Here are some photos.
                Very nice grouping Do you know If he survived the war or did he die on the ship?

Comment

Yes, I believe he did. I have not been able to find a list of survivors. However the group includes a copy of "Der Scheinwerfer", a newsletter for the Tirpitz survivor association.
                  I have done some research regarding the movements of the Tirpitz, and the dating of the award documents:

03 April 1944:
                  Tirpitz is attacked by 40 bombers from the carriers Victorious, Furious, Emperor, Searcher, Fencer, and Persuer. She is hit by 10 bombs of 225kg, and 4 of 775kg. 132 dead and 316 wounded.

According to the award documents, the wound badge in black was awarded on 12 April 1944, and the EK2 on 20 April 1944. I would think that both were the result of the above attack.

By 01 July 1944 Tirpitz is ready to start her trials again, and conducts the last trials 31 July - August 01.

The award document for the EK1 is dated 03 August 1944. Since there appear to be no incidents between the bombing raid and this date, I am not sure what the EK1 was awarded for. Is it possible to receive both for the same action?

Wolfgang

Comment

Yes, you can get both EK II and EK I for the same action.
                    I also think I remember that there were one ( or maybe a few) accations where a man would get EK II, EK I and the RK for the same action.

I might be wrong about the RK, but I think I rememebr that tehre were some instances about that.

/Flemming

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X