EK2 ribbon sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 ribbon sizes

I've recently noticed that not all the ribbons on my EK2s are the same width. The middle one seems to be the more common one. Are there more sizes? Are some more rare than others?

The ribbon on the right is the same width as the imperial ribbon on my prinzen.

Widths:
    Left: 1 5/16"
    Centre: 1 3/16"
    Right: 1"
    Attached Files

leftone seems like a fake ? Right one seems lke a schinkel variant ribbon and in middle is normal IMO

Comment

The left one is ribbed on both sides and very silky to the touch so I assumed it was right.

What would a WW2 prinzen ribbon be used for?

Comment

The left one is ribbed on both sides so I assumed it was right.

So the schinkels should have a prinzen sized ribbon?

Comment

Hi Bernie,

You show a 30mm ribbon, and a 25mm ribbon, yes?

My opinion is that the correct width for a 1939 EK2 ribbon is 30mm in all cases. I believe that 25mm ribbons were originally manufactured for use on some ribbon bars, and possibly also some court-mounted medal bars, and that collectors have incorrectly added them to Schinkels (and some regular EK2s also). Thus I don't think there is any such thing as a "Schinkel variant" ribbon.

I think you will find that most collectors disagree with me, and think that 25mm ribbons are correct for Schinkels.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Ive had the smaller ribbons turn up on Schinkels from lots of sources and occassionaly standard EK2's....

Comment

Thanks Trev,

What are your thoughts on the larger one at left?

Comment

You are right that 25mm ribbons were for ribbon bars,- usually bars with one or 2 ribbons. The 25mm size was also meant for wear in the 2d buttonhole of the tunic because it is the exact size; but, more often if not, any German soldier would have the 30mm ribbon put in the buttonhole, even if it is too wide, it was just squeezed in & flattened / sewn down. Original leftover reels of the 25mm size are around, as it wasn't used so much, but the 30mm width is getting scarce, leftover reels of it used to be around, but not anymore. From a big reel, I only have left about 2 feet.

Comment

Hi Bernie:
                  The left one seams a bit wider ... not sure why .
                  The 2 common found widths do have a few variations amongst themselfs as the comparison shows . A variation in color and thread weave thickness which produces a fine soft to thick stiff ribbons ... even with variations in width of the red and and white bands . I would guess these differences exist as these ribbons most likely are from different manufacturers .

Douglas
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting topic Bernie, I received a 25cm with EK2 today !

Nick
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice 25 milimeter wide dull red-orange ribbon , Nick

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X