S.O.S. Crosses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.O.S. Crosses

I thought I'd write a few impressions of the S.O.S. this year. It was my first time there and I must say I was impressed and almost overwhelmed by the amount of material on offer. The fact that about 50% of the EKs were fakes made sifting through the rest a bit easier, though .

The big news to me was that we are most definitely in the era of the $125 EK2. That was quite literally the bottom price any dealer was willing to accept for a standard cross. If the cross was marked, it started at $150 or $175. I was also amazed at how savvy most dealers were about variants and less common marks. People who had Schinkels or Ubergrosses knew they had them. I saw a marked 125 for sale -- one of the few marks I was never able to find when I used to collect the EK2 by maker. It was $250. "It's a very hard to find maker," I was told. And so it is.

The base price for a Schinkel was around $350 - $400, with some asking as much as $450 for a nice one. I saw an Ubergrosse in mediocre condition listed for $1000. There were very few real deals to be had (that I saw personally), at least with TR stuff. I did a bit better with Imperial.

That said, there were some very nice items for sale and on display.

My favorite encounter was with a dealer. I stopped to look at an EK2. It was a nice unmarked 1914 one-piece, overpriced at $125. I asked why it was so expensive. "It's an Austrian variant," he explained. "How can you tell?" I asked. He looked at me like I was a complete idiot and said, "Just look at it!! Can't you tell?" (It was not an Austrian variant, by the way.)

Overall it was a very enjoyable trip. The highlight, really, was meeting my fellow collectors: Greg, Tony, Alik, Dietrich, Gentry, Bob, George, all of you that I met.

I didn't find the one specific thing I was looking for, but I did find some other nice items. I'll post a few of my finds here. I would love to see others' cross-related scores, too.

Here is a Full Juncker. The condition is what caught my eye. It's the best one of this type I've ever had personally and it reminds me why Juncker is my favorite maker, and so sought-after.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by streptile; 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Here is a Juncker Schinkel EK1 that I got also. Non-magnetic as always. I had been looking for an EK1 in this condition for a long time.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Comment

In its case.
      Attached Files
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

Last one for now is this nice non-magnetic Assmann Schinkel EK2. The orange ribbon is extremely nice, and extremely long (probably about 16 inches).
        Attached Files
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

Wow Trevor you picked up some lovely crosses there. That Assmann Schinkel is outstanding !

I wish you had bought the marked '125' I would have bought it off you

50% of the crosses are fakes, I wonder how many of them they sell to unsuspecting newbies !

Nick

Comment

Streptile i think you got a nice score on SoS, congrats
            Very nice crosses

Andy

Comment

Hi Trevor.
              some lovely crosses you picked up. The Assmann cross is of particular interest to me, as I have a cracking packet with Assmann maker mark. After reading a bit on the forum, I read that, there was no conclusive evidence of any Assmann crosses having been manufactured. Also with reference to the firms catalogue, the examples were more or less artists impressions which incorporated round 3 s to the dates. I have seen another member state they also have an Assmann cross, I just wondered how you can tell this is a genuine Assmann. Dont get me wrong, I certainly do not call into question what you have stated, just merely interested to know.

kindest regards John

Comment

Excellent crosses man
                Dave

Comment

Ek

Ok Trevor, now you have to send me the Assmann EKII so it will go with my EKI, this way the son will be with the father. It has the same style date as mine. Nice pickup from SOS. Jim

Comment

To late Jim.....

Comment

Amazing rare crosses in beautiful condition, congrats Trevor!

Comment

Congrats Trevor,nice finds

Comment

Trevor you bought really nice crosses and brought really impressive story.
                          Nice to hear that people start to know about makers and variants.

about your assman schinkel cross, it is a wonderful example

Comment

Trevor nice crosses and thanks a lot for your report.......
                            RS

Comment

Great pick ups Trev! As always, you have an eye for the choice Junckers

Very nice!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X