• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my update

Please keep 'em coming guys

Nick
    Attached Files

Comment

My latest W&L, part of this lovely medal bar !

Nick
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

-----
          Attached Files

Comment

The 100 maker mark

Hi Guy's, I've noticed that "most" of the mm's are onthe front side of the ring, but some are on the reverse. I guess it depended on what individual at the time was working on a batch. Of the 7 EK2's I have all but one # 100 mm are on the front side of the ring. I've seen several on the back though. Any comments on this? Keep them coming & thanks, Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              Hi Guy's, I've noticed that "most" of the mm's are onthe front side of the ring, but some are on the reverse. I guess it depended on what individual at the time was working on a batch. Of the 7 EK2's I have all but one # 100 mm are on the front side of the ring. I've seen several on the back though. Any comments on this? Keep them coming & thanks, Tom
              Hi Tom

I think you are correct, it depended on the individual on the production line at the time

Nick

Comment

one attributed

Hi Nick, I have only one in my collection that is attributed. It belonged to my old friend Hans. R. Holl - Lt. in Gren. Reg. 712, 416 Inf. Div. Award date is 26 Oct. 1944 & the document is signed by Lt.Gen. Kurt Pflieger, Commander of the 416th Inf. Div. (RK- 10 Feb. 1945). Hans passed away in 1977 from Complications due to his war wounds. Hans had moved to the U.S. in the late 60's and owned a German import shop here in Louisville, Ky. The late date of his award shows me that W&L crosses were issued for most of the war. Sorry to go on & on. Thought it would be of interest, Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                  Hi Nick, I have only one in my collection that is attributed. It belonged to my old friend Hans. R. Holl - Lt. in Gren. Reg. 712, 416 Inf. Div. Award date is 26 Oct. 1944 & the document is signed by Lt.Gen. Kurt Pflieger, Commander of the 416th Inf. Div. (RK- 10 Feb. 1945). Hans passed away in 1977 from Complications due to his war wounds. Hans had moved to the U.S. in the late 60's and owned a German import shop here in Louisville, Ky. The late date of his award shows me that W&L crosses were issued for most of the war. Sorry to go on & on. Thought it would be of interest, Tom
                  Fascinating Tom !

Do you have any other items from Hans?

Nick

Comment

Other awards

Nick, Yes I also have his IAB silver (unmarked) & his Black WB also unmarked. With both the documents. Also a few photos taken in the spring of 44 just after he finished officer school in Posen. He had written to the German archives in the 60's for his Military records, and I also have those doc's showing his promotions, units served with & his awards. The 416th was involved in the fighting in the Metz area and retreated into the Saar in late 44 & early 45. Hans was wounded seriously in Feb 45, and for him the war was over. He should have received the wound badge in silver, but it never came about. The Div. went on to surrender just east of Munich at the very end. The condition of his cross is very nice & marked on the front of the ring. Tom

Comment

Tom, have you shown these on this forum somewhere?

Nick

Comment

Posted

Hi ya Nick, No I have never posted them because I don't have what I need to do so. Can I have another Forum person post them for me? If I can I might be able to work that out. I'm new to the Forum & all it's in's & outs. I'll call Tim in the AM and see if we can get some photo's posted ASAP. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stickgrenade View Post
                          Hi Tom

I think you are correct, it depended on the individual on the production line at the time

Nick
                          Hi Nick, it could also be that the repetative stamping of the numbers was so mundane that the odd slip up occurred. Hence the vast majority were on the front and the odd one on the reverse. Just a thought, and speaking somewhat from experience.

regards John

Comment

BTW Nick I absolutely love the W&L medal bar. Outstanding cross.

regards John

Comment

Originally posted by John Henderson View Post
                              Hi Nick, it could also be that the repetative stamping of the numbers was so mundane that the odd slip up occurred. Hence the vast majority were on the front and the odd one on the reverse. Just a thought, and speaking somewhat from experience.

regards John
                              That could well be John

Thanks for your comment on the bar !!

Cheers

Nick

Comment

My small addition.

A nice example of W&L EK, early version with rattling core. The interesting thing about this EK is the thing that we can notice that the ribbon loops were marked before soldering. The number digit 0 on my loop is covered with solder.

Hope you like my cross
                                ~Strugu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 20 users online. 0 members and 20 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X