No announcement yet.

A tribute to the Wachtler & Lange EK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This W&L SB EK1 was acquired last weekend. It conforms to the description found in The Iron Cross 1. Class by Maerz & Stimson - including the pinched bead and the cross-hatched corners. This particular core exhibits the "lost foot" 1 as commented upon by Stefan:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...lights=L55+EK1

A quick search through the WAF archives reveals that this flaw has been seen on a number of occasions. The limited number presented suggests it might be more common in the SB format than the PB versions. Perhaps WAF members could weigh-in with information based on examples in their collections.

For those of you interested in the physical parameters, here is the relevant information:

* three piece construction
    * iron core
    * width = 43.90mm
    * height = 43.75 mm
    * weight = 18.5 gm (cross only)
    * weight = 23.7 gm (cross and backing plate)

While far from pristine, this cross has a "character" that I quite enjoy.

Cheers,

George
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting George, thats a very nice cross

Great detail and info too

Nick

Comment

My pleasure Nick. Forgot to mention that the cross is factory vaulted.

George

Comment

Interesting feature that one does not see often .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by George P. View Post
            Forgot to mention that the cross is factory vaulted.
            Hi George,

I don't think so, but if you could provide a side shot we can assess. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a factory vaulted LDO EK1, as they were expressly forbidden.

Some early unmarked SB (and PB) EK1s are indeed factory vaulted.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Rettenmayer EK1s might be an exception then ..... I have a factory vaulted PB L59 EK1 .
              Forbidden yes .... acquired personaly from the receipient ... it was a 'special' order though .

Douglas
              Last edited by Douglas 5; 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM. Reason: Addition:

Comment

Keep showing your W&Ls guys! I know there are more beauties out there

Here is my 'snow camo' W&L

Nick
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stickgrenade View Post

Here is my 'snow camo' W&L

Nick
                  It is a snow camo Nick, makes it unique and also one that I would not hessitate to add to my little pile

Chris

Comment

Interesting camo reverse , Nick .... the flashy obverse would have made a perfect sniper target !

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                      Interesting camo reverse , Nick .... the flashy obverse would have made a perfect sniper target !

Douglas
                      True! maybe should have snow camo on reverse and summer pea dot camo on the obverse

Nick

Comment

The use of the button hole ribbon sure was a life saver .

Douglas

Comment

ek

My W&L

Comment

Originally posted by tystgaard View Post
                            My W&L

very nice bar with a lovely cross Thanks for posting !

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                              Hi George,

I don't think so, but if you could provide a side shot we can assess. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a factory vaulted LDO EK1, as they were expressly forbidden.

Some early unmarked SB (and PB) EK1s are indeed factory vaulted.

Hello Trevor,

The following features led me to believe the vaulting might have been done at the factory.

1. There are no 'creases' on the backing plate as often seen on hand vaulted crosses.

2. The is no 'shortening ' of the frame that might occur if the cross was bent post assembly.

3. The edges are well finished and the seam/solder do not appear to be have been compromised.

4. The frosting in the inside corners does not appear to have been disturbed.

The attached image shows the profile of the W&L cross in question compared with an Orth and a factory vaulted 1914 Meybauer. That the L55 is vaulted is obvious when compared to the flat 15. The degree of vaulting is about the same as the Meybauer. Admittedly, the six and twelve o'clock arms, (left and right respectively), of the L55 do appear to be straight as compared to those of the Meybauer which have some curvature. Is this possibly indicative of post assembly hand bending on the L55? It is also interesting, (to me), that neither the L55 nor Meybauer have any curvature on the three o'clock arm.

Looking forward to learning your thoughts.

Cheers,

George
                              Attached Files

Comment

As interesting as this is - if I may suggest here George - to run any futher comments to the vaulting question in a seperate independant thread as not to distract from this main thread on W&L crosses .
                                I see nothing convincing at all on any of the shown cross side views that would indicate factory vaulting to me ??

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X